$30,000.00 Model T Speedster.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: $30,000.00 Model T Speedster.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Osburn on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 06:57 pm:

This Speedster sold for $30000.00 today at the Leake Auction in Tulsa, Oklahoma. 1913 super wasp speester

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 07:16 pm:

From sale page:

Super wasp body
- Cockpit larger size 2.5 inches in width, 3.5 inches in length
- Car is 5 inches total length longer for the larger scale man, original owner was 6 ft 2 inches tall
- 5.5 inches dropped suspension, suicide ft. end
- 6 degree canted rear suspension, BUB Ford wire racing wheels locking hubs, winfield S series carb
- Rajo bb dual spark plug overhead valve external oiling prime system, model a crank pistons
- Texas tornado distributor, 12 volt system
- Electric starter, leather interior, molted maple dash brooklands style windscreens
- Raced Mt Washington hillclimb in the roaring 20s

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 12:09 am:

That looks like a very fun ride!

What is the story on "6 degree canted rear suspension"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 03:25 am:

Maybe it's the lowering in the rear measured in degrees on the driveshaft rather than inches? Odd, anyway.

Known racing history gets another type of collectors interested and thus adds to the value more than the speed equipment and body does, I think?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 07:01 am:

Texas tornado distributor?? Sounds like a bit of "poetic license" was taken in the description......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 11:10 am:

I've turned down an legit offer for that for my Racer - hate to admit I've probably got that much or more into the build but I've never tallied up (and most likely won't) the receipt envelope !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Webb on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 07:53 am:

Hi All,

The above T speedster has just sold again and a mate of mine now owns it.
How do I confirm if the car is original and did race at Mt Washington hillclimb

Thanks
Andrew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 10:44 am:

I agree with Royce. I've hear of Tornado distributors (I think they were one of the early types that clamped or bolted to the front of the engine but had a long vertical shaft and housing that had the 'head' mounted about level with the cylinder head), and we're certainly familiar with the Texas T distributor, but I've never heard of a 'Texas Tornado' distributor. Maybe it was made in Amarillo, Texas in the heart of tornado country.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 01:52 pm:

All of our cars sell to cheap, we are driving pieces of History! Many T's sell for $7,000 to $10,000 and that's a crime. You can't restore the drivetrain for that, much less paint or put an interior in a car. Why do people give them away?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Monday, October 05, 2015 - 02:07 pm:

I agree that Model T's are underpriced compared to other monikers; however, I would counter that most antique cars are overpriced. Why is that???

My father's generation could acquire an antique automobile for a fraction of the cost that they are today and could restore them properly on a budget. Today's cars are so overpriced it is hard for young guys to break into the hobby. I was 37 before I could afford to buy a Model T and I still cannot afford a Model A roadster, which is the car I have wanted since I was ten years old. I played with my Hubley Model A so much (with my Han Solo action figure driving it) that the steering wheel was nothing more than a stub.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 11:39 pm:

Why are the prices low on the later T's: because there are so many out there still and the people that want them are getting to be less and less.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 12:09 am:

You don't restore a model T as an investment, unless it is a very rare model.
Maybe this is one reason T folks are so great, we're here for the love of the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 12:24 am:

Speedsters are built for the owner, they reflect his needs and wants. The cost and value can be quite different.

This one cost over $20K and still increasing as he adds new wire wheels and a Livingstone V radiator. Certainly well worth it to the owner.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration