Diesel Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Diesel Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 08:30 pm:

This is what I seen at the local parade today. Has a Kuboda diesel engine in it. Thought someone may enjoy this.
Diesel T Diesel T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 08:49 pm:

That is very sad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 08:51 pm:

I guess that's one way to solve the Distributor VS Mag & Coils issue!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

Gag!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 09:49 pm:

I agree with Royce.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 10:07 pm:

Didn't someone post a link to an ad a little while ago for a TT with a VW turbo diesel in it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 10:24 pm:

Nice, that solves a bunch of common issues. There is almost no chance that he will join the two piece crank club, it would be more reliable, more fuel efficient and once it is started it needs no electricity or electronics to run. I doubt that it has a hand crank.

Really is does not looks like any damage was done to the body or frame and I bet that if someone wanted they could easily convert back to the old unreliable (compared to then diesel) power plant.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 10:54 pm:

Looks like the ~15hp. 3-cyl model. Of course 15hp diesel is like about 22hp gas and at a lower rpm. I think no one would notice unless you raised the hood. I have one in my parts stash waiting for a project. Hmmmmm. :-)

I also have the 10hp, 2-cyl model in what I call my Kenbota.(homebuilt loader) That thing will climb a tree in low gear if you can hold on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 11:02 pm:

If you were behind him going down the road YOU'D notice him! (stinky)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 11:34 pm:

Well free starts are out of the question but i think anyone who would do that will also runn rabits and eat turds!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 12:01 am:

After seeing this....using a distributor or water pump on a model T is nothing. At least those items can be easily returned to stock.

Wonder what the transmission and rear end set up is......Brakes???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 12:29 am:

That diesel engine with a water pump sounds like something that Royce would like sneak into one of his model T cars and keep the hood locked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 04:13 am:

So you can run it on vegetable oil, but lubricating with vege oil would be yuck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 06:21 am:

It had a Model A transmission and the highth difference he had it belt drive, it even still had stock exhaust, He did not cut any thing up so it could not be put back some day to original. I helped him this past winter rebuild the original transmission. I thought every one would get a good kick out of this one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 07:00 am:

So this is a temporary solution to be able to use the T while the engine is being restored?
It's great to be able to keep on running with parts you have on hand ;)

With a Model A transmission, how does the brakes work? Were the 26/27 large drum emergency brakes connected to a Model A brake pedal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 08:12 am:

I wonder if it would run on 100% Marvel Mystery Oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 08:17 am:

While I would never REALLY do that to a T, being a former sailboat owner with many a small, 2 and then 3 cylinder diesel engine, and then two different motorboats with diesels, and now my sub-compact tractor with a 24HP 3cyl. Yanmar, I have often thought while running that tractor how sweet it would be having one in a model T!! I know, I'm a sinner!! But once you've experienced how great those sweet little engines are, it's easy to get hooked on them as easy as it is to get hooked on a model T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 08:26 am:

"I thought every one would get a good kick out of this one!"

Joe, we did...I think many of us would also like to give the owner who did this a good kick as well. What's his next plan? Ship the car to Syria and join ISIS? In a recent post I think I said something like "there's plenty of room in the hobby for everyone"...I take that back. Heh, heh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 08:52 am:

Looks like a '26-'27 body with early fenders...not so pure to start with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Borland. Bathurst. NSW. Australia. on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 09:52 am:

Try hand cranking that bugger!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 09:53 am:

The Cubans would love this!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 10:08 am:

Guess you didn't notice but I was wondering about what trans and rear end he used. Assuming he adapted at least the diff/driveshaft to keep the rear wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 12:03 pm:

I think it's pretty cool. What kind of fuel mileage does he get out of it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 12:40 pm:

Well wasn't there a carb arrangement that would allow you to start your "T" on gas then switch to kerosene? Not such a big jump to diesel and he dosen't have to worry about letting the fuel sit and gumming things up! But I still hate to see that:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 12:47 pm:

No John. Kubota diesels don't stink. They smell a lot better than a rich-running, plug fouled, crank breaking Model T engine. :-)

I sure would like to see what's behind that engine as far as a clutch/trans. I know my Kenbota will run 3-4 hours on a gallon of diesel at 50-75% throttle with a hydro trans and moving dirt. That's equivalent to about 150 miles!

You guys sure know how to put a spin on your Air Conditioned, Distributed, Z-headed, Electrocuted, Scatted and Cam-shafted Carb dripping "stock" Model Ts. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 03:18 pm:

Wonder what that diesel engine would look like in the nice Brass T sitting next to it in the pic.

In a black era T its bad enough but in a brass T?
I shuddddderrr!! to think about it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 03:42 pm:

I like what GC Scott said in the movie Patton!!--No these are ivory and only a pimp from a cheap New Orleans whore house would use pearl!! The Model T helped build this country and the world but i find little reference to a off shore tractor?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 04:07 pm:

He gets 50 miles to a set of belts, the idler puller is not designed for what he is trying to do with it, overheating the belts. The little truck is a bunch of throwed together parts so no great loss. The Brass T next to it is a Pullman J touring fairly rare piece can be seen most years at The Old Car Fest. in Dearborn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Mokelumne Hill, Calif. on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 04:30 pm:

Well, this heretic obviously needs to be exterminated. Let's get a lynch mob together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 07:58 pm:

quote:

The Model T helped build this country and the world but i find little reference to a off shore tractor??

I guess you never heard of John Deere. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 08:04 pm:

I'm holding my breath to see which Model T parts vendor adds diesel parts to their catalog first.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 10:06 am:

Interesting comments about T's with Pinto engines, diesels, air conditioning, alternators, 12 volt electrics, removing the factory ignition system, water pumps, two speed axles, super-turbocharger, and ad nauseam. And then there is a show field comment I like. "Is it original - yes built it myself from parts I bought." If Henry Ford had not had the Dodge Brothers,Louis Chevrolet, and a cast of tinkers the Model T would have died early in production. And who would care if the car has a diesel or electric motor to power the car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 01:08 am:

Anytime you "improve" one part of a drive train, you are going to cause another part to fail. I have driven WWII vintage Ford jeeps since the early 70s, and I have seen a lot of jeeps that were ruined at great expense. The biggest problems is, when you put a more powerful engine in a vehicle, something else is going to break, or in the case of the jeeps, even if nothing breaks, the power to weight ratio is messed up. More power just means you will spin the wheels and dig down. In the case of a T, when you put a modern engine in it, you need a modern tranny, and then the axles, wheels, brakes and steering are going to be inadequate. There was a T that was involved in a fatality crash a few months ago, and like this vehicle, it was not really a T. A person would be better off to mount T fenders, hood and body on a Powerwagon, and then you would have an "old timey" car like you will find in new york city

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Prideaux Margaret River West Oz on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 01:37 am:

More in common with a Hot Rod....minus the "hot"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 08:42 am:

Just because someone says "you shouldn't", doesn't mean you "can't" do that either. Were would we be, if they never tried to...........everything!

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 08:45 am:

Not only that is the problem of what will the rest of us do with all the extra fuel?? When all these fakes start getting 150 mpg where will all the extra fuel go?? When the tax money falls short will the states outlaw whatever those things are?? Will elephants over run the earth with the lack of demand for ivory?? Bud in knee high corn and rain!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 08:47 am:

Not only that is the problem of what will the rest of us do with all the extra fuel?? When all these fakes start getting 150 mpg where will all the extra fuel go?? When the tax money falls short will the states outlaw whatever those things are?? Will elephants over run the earth with the lack of demand for ivory?? Bud in knee high corn and rain!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration