Cowl laceing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Cowl laceing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 10:52 pm:

I have been trying to install cowl laceing on a 22 low medal firewall with the split rivits
I got the holes in the laceing but theres got be a trick to getting the rivits split and tight wish i had waited but the dash is installed now and hate go back to square one

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 12:09 am:

there's a special pair of pliers for that, although I didn't use them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 12:22 am:

I think it helps being two on that job.
You can help the rivets to split with some tool like a screwdriver and bend them back into the lacing, then rap them with a hammer and a punch while a helper holds the head steady with a dolly?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 01:04 pm:

On my barn '23, put some replacement old welting on to match what was there. So placed the split rivet, then spread with small single blade screwdriver.

Clamped down with Vise Grip blunt end welding clamp, and that held fast the head under the metal lip, and squished down the tangs just fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 11:34 pm:

Oh boy the heads ofthe rivits goese on the firewall side and split on the laceing side guess one side will be odd this is my first T with steel firewall guessing these newer cars are over engineered
Doese the lacing go over the hood rod center or cut into two pieces

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 11:48 pm:

I'll try it,Dan!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 06:10 am:

I tried the welding clamps to hold the lacing on but now I can't get the hood closed! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 09:42 am:

If you need the rivets for the lacing, Langs sells them. It's a tough job, but the easiest way to do it is off the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 11:55 pm:

I reckon so
But all i have scratched is some rust lucky there

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 07:09 am:

Tried it once without the special pliers and got it done. Next time, I bought the pliers and was glad I did - have used them on three firewalls now (so much easier). If you anticipate future projects, the pliers are worth getting from Lang's or Snyder's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 10:19 pm:

The split rivet pliers make it an easy, 1/2 hour job. Punch the holes through the lacing with an awl and stick the rivet through. Easy squeezy.

Bob, the lacing gets cut into two pieces. It does not go over the hood rod clip. Just buts up to each side of it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration