Is there a difference in strength between taper leaf and the later leaf springs?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Is there a difference in strength between taper leaf and the later leaf springs?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Milford, Ohio on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 12:35 am:

I finally got my first good look at a rear tapered leaf spring saturday at Richmond, and it got me thinking. Since I'm relatively new to Ts, I never got to see one up close until then. I was wondering, is there a difference in strength between taper leaf and the later leaf springs? Is one a softer spring than the other? I don't know a lot about leaf springs, so this may be an academic question for some.

Benjamin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 12:48 am:

Not much difference in strength, I think? The number of leafs has more importance.
If the tapered springs are a miniscule amount softer, then it's fitting the earlier cars tends to be lighter than the later cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Milford, Ohio on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 12:50 pm:

Yeah, thats what I am not sure about. I am working on a hack/truck style wood body and there will be alot of weight with passengers in the back. So I am curious about the stiffness of them. Id like to be correct and use the taper leaf, but if the later style is stronger (as is with no extra leafs, which on either I can add), Id rather use it. I could be worrying about nothing, and could just add an extra leaf to the tapered one and be fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 01:57 pm:

If you're talking about compression and rebound properties as "strength" then yes, the taper springs are weaker even though the actual steel properties are the same. The taper springs also have a different compression curve at start than say, 40-50% load to give a better ride. I would not use taper springs on a Hack unless it's just for show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 04:29 pm:

Good question Benjamin. I've often wondered why the MT500 boys want taper leaf rear springs on their late model race Model Ts. Been to Spokane a few times and noticed this unusual combination

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration