Fitting a Klaxon 12B "a-oo-gah" horn to my '25 Touring :-)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Fitting a Klaxon 12B "a-oo-gah" horn to my '25 Touring :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mitch on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 02:56 am:

So I've given into temptation and I'm bidding on a klaxon 12B horn for my 1925 Ford Model T touring. Ive decided to keep the original horn installed though, and mount the klaxon underneath, out of sight since it's not technically meant to be on this year model! Will sound great at car shows for the kids though :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 03:46 am:

Great sound and great fun at shows and everywhere when people oogles the car or waves (if you can't wave back directly - sometimes all hands are busy with driving :-) )

I've got a couple of hand operated mechanical horns, made by EA Industries and Auto Metal Products Co, both from New York - but they're still Klaxons for most casual observers. Maybe Klaxon were among the first, or the best selling brand?

K1
K2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 08:48 am:

Mitch

I love Klaxons and have had several mounted on my 15 touring. A great place to mount them is on the drivers side front fender strut. They don't seem to collect much dirt or mud there and none of the sound is muffled. Let me know if you need a pic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 08:56 am:

They'll fit :-)

horny
(This is one of the pictures Ralph Ricks used to post. Have a good rest in heaven, RDR )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 09:40 am:

Bud- did you mean underneath on the front fender support?

Thanks,
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 09:41 am:

I remember that picture; THe Horny Coupe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 10:17 am:

Mitch

Found an old pic showing where the Klaxon is mounted. The actual mounting bracket isn't shown, but its just one of those rubberized clamps around the fender iron. The bolt that goes through the clamp also goes through one of the bolt holes that attaches the horn bell to the body on the klaxon.

Actually any kind of clamp would do, the rubberized ones tend not to slip as much. A regular clamp with a piece of inner tube would work as well.

The other advantage to mounting this way is that nothing is obstructed when you want to work on the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 12:15 pm:

The fellow who mounts an electric Klaxon on a Model T Ford has already decided it's more important to have fun than to be a stickler for historical accuracy. _And while it's not really acceptable to drill holes and mount electrical doo-dads and toys onto a dignified, high-end, Brass-Era horseless carriage like a Pierce-Arrow, it's perfectly okay to do that with a Model T Ford because such casual silliness is woven into the very fabric of the car's legendary, puppy-like playfulness. _We can thank guys like Laurel & Hardy, Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin for that.

Sure, you can go with an electric Klaxon and that would be the wise choice for an enclosed car, but with an open Touring such as yours, it's probably more fun to get a hand-operated Klaxon. _Part of the patter I use when pointing out the features of my Model T to car-show spectators is to tell them, "It's physically impossible to hold a straight face and not smile while shoving in this plunger. _Here, you try it!" _Everyone gets a kick out of this, but such silliness is especially appreciated by kids. _It's also a refreshing departure from the typical "Look but don't touch" attitude that spectators have grown to expect from show-car owners.

The non-opening, driver-side door on your Touring is just begging for a hand-Klaxon (but nobody says you can't have an electric ahoogah-horn, wolf-whistle, siren and trolley-bell, too)!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mitch on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 06:33 pm:

I won the horn :-) Looking forward to it arriving :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 09:42 pm:

Good luck! My "well accessorized" '24 coupe has an electric motor klaxon horn. The only horn it has (it IS an original after-market accessory).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mitch on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 02:12 am:

Thanks Wayne..... yes I will be mounting it underneath the carburetor guard, so out of sight... I like to keep my T as original and correct as possible, but this one I couldn't resist :P haha

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 07:08 am:

Mitch,
I wonder about whether it's a good idea to mount an electrical accessory under something that occasionally drips gasoline.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mitch on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 05:19 am:

Good point Bob, although my car has the full length plate underneath the generator and carburetor, so I don't think it should be an issue - especially since the generator sits right next to the carburetor.

I've wire brushed back the surface rust and old flaking paint... now has three coats of paint -- looks like new and ready to install :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration