Problem with my 14!!!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Problem with my 14!!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 07:18 am:

I drive my 14 a lot. Put over 3500 miles on it since last July before I put it away for the winter. At that time it was running perfect, and it had just completed the Mainely T Tour in Sept. Last week I went to start it for the first time this year. We were planning on doing a 100 plus mile drive, would not start. It had gas, spark, but no compression in 2 cylinders and only 30 lbs in the other 2 cylinders. So much for taking a drive in the 14, ended up taking the wife's 20 instead.
I pulled the valves out the next day. Carbon had hardened on the seats and valves over the winter. Whoever did the valve work on it, had the seats way to wide. They were 1/8 wide instead of the 1/16 they should be. I found a place that resurfaced the valves while I waited. I cut the seats with a Neuway valve seat cutter. The boy was right there with me for the whole project and at least he was lovin every minute of it. Ended up taking the front fender off to get at better access to the engine, especially adjusting the valves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 08:36 am:

He is cute but I wouldn't let him polish brass with that thing.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 12:33 pm:

I like that you are teaching him to be safety concious with the goggles but what about gloves?:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 05:58 pm:

Adding a little more info to this post. Attached are some pictures of the 14 with the fender removed for easy access to the engine. Also, a picture of my solution for ease of installing and removing hood hold downs.
The other pictures show why I'm not a fan of the quality of the Z Head. Before I could even use this head, I had to have it resurfaced. Check the pattern of the head gasket against the head. I figure its a miracle I didn't have a blown head gasket. I didn't find any corrosion issues with the Z Head.
When I bought the Prus head for my 24, I had neither of these issues. Much better quality.

G.R.-the last picture shows the boys work gloves, he has worn out two other sets, but he likes to get his hands dirty and run to show his Grammy that he is a real worker. By the way that's his favorite tool, if he could sleep with it he would.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 06:09 pm:

Dan,

Great photos.

The offer still stands...I'll trade you two, even three, of my college summer helpers for the boy. He does more work and has more repair knowledge then all three of my hired summer help together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 07:18 pm:

Adding a little more info to this post. Attached are some pictures of the 14 with the fender removed for easy access to the engine. Also, a picture of my solution for ease of installing and removing hood hold downs.
The other pictures show why I'm not a fan of the quality of the Z Head. Before I could even use this head, I had to have it resurfaced. Check the pattern of the head gasket against the head. I figure its a miracle I didn't have a blown head gasket. I didn't find any corrosion issues with the Z Head.
When I bought the Prus head for my 24, I had neither of these issues. Much better quality.

G.R.-the last picture shows the boys work gloves, he has worn out two other sets, but he likes to get his hands dirty and run to show his Grammy that he is a real worker. By the way that's his favorite tool, if he could sleep with it he would.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 07:36 pm:

Sorry for the double post, don't know how I did that. Dennis thanks for the offer, but the answer is the same,no way.
Here is a cute story my wife wrote about him:

Sharing a cute story. Hope it makes you smile as it did us. As soon as our almost 4 year old grandson wakes up this morning. He says "We need to go get the Model T ready". He didn't want breakfast. So out Papa and him go to work on the 14. He and papa come back in and Jack said "I want something to eat, but not food. I want a snack" I find a snack for him and he said " Come on papa we'll go sit on the running board and have our break" Do you think this child will grow up to have a good work ethic?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 06:47 pm:

Life is good! My 14 is back together and runs good. Attached is a picture of the Neuway Valve seat cutter. This works excellent, makes lining up the seat and valve very easy. I had to notch the firewall to get the pilot in.
Second picture is anti-freeze seepage on the Z Head. At first I thought it was from the head gasket but it wasn't. I have heard these heads can have porous spots in them. This looks like what this is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 11:28 am:

Dan, is your firewall original? The color looks about right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 02:23 pm:

Dan - First of all, I'd say you're a pretty darn good grandpa, and I'm sure "grammy" rates pretty high on that little guy's list too!

Isn't that Neway valve seat cutter a great tool? It'll do a beautiful 3-angle valve seat that's so accurate and leave a "finish" that doesn't even require hand lapping with valve grinding compound and all that. In fact, in the manual that comes with the Neway valve seat cutter set, they actually don't recommend hand lapping, they discourage it! With "guidance" from the great "tech support" at Neway, I just bought the 30-60-45 degree cutters and the one adjustable pilot with my set and it's all you need for Model "T's.

I think the real beauty of those carbide cutters is that they ALWAYS cut a perfectly flat valve seat, whereas the old Sioux valve seat grinder only grinds a valve seat as flat and true as the condition of the stone allows, which can easily be something less than perfect if you're a bit lax in dressing the grind stone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 08:00 pm:

Larry, The firewall is not original. For the color, I used the original veneer that was behind the coil box to match up the color. It came out pretty much right on. The firewall that I used was an old repro done in the incorrect oak colored stain. If it was the original one I wouldn't have notched it. I would have shortened the pilot.

Harold, Thanks for the compliment, and Grammy does rate high on his list. You're right about the Neuway system, it works great

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration