1914 Front/Rear top straps

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1914 Front/Rear top straps
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 09:44 am:

I am getting ready to order the front and rear top straps for my 1914 Touring and was wondering what Ford originally used - leather or cotton webbing? Although my car has the original interior and has one remaining top boot strap, made of cotton webbing, I'm not sure what to use for the top straps themselves. I think the buckles, hooks and loops were all black, but not sure about the straps themselves. Anyone out there have an original '14 top assembly that can give me some advice? I really strive to keep thing as Henry intended if I can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 09:54 am:

Contact RV Anderson via the forum.

He has researched the subject and he manufacturers and sells accurate reproduction straps and has replacement hardware if you need it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 10:11 am:

Hi Bill,

If you are referring to the straps from the front bow to the windshield and the straps from the rear bow to the "L" iron, they are to my best understanding black leather. And yes, R.V. knows what is what.

Hope that this helps. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 11:16 am:

Late '14 began the changeover from leather to cotton, starting with the rear curtain straps, but the majority of late '14s still used leather. The proportion slowly reversed through '15 and '16 so that by late '16 few cars still had leather "stay straps" a Ford called them.

My rule of thumb is:

Late 1914: Probably all leather
1915: either but rears probably cotton
1916: Probably all cotton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 02:33 pm:

My original 1915 was made in January and according to Hap Tucker, is the earliest touring on his registry. It has leather front straps and cotton rears.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration