Pitting on deck......

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Pitting on deck......
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 04:10 pm:

My 1918 block is now cleaned off so I can evaluate it. There is some fairly severe pitting around two of the valve seats, although not into the seats themselves, but it looks like inserts are in the plans now.

Can the other pits be filled in some fashion? My first thought was brazing and then file to match the surface. JB Weld might also be possible but I know that almost all epoxies loose their strength in the presence of higher temperatures.

In reality, the pits not directly near the valves aren't going to hurt anything...just perhaps load up with carbon over time. So, should I leave them alone?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 04:57 pm:

I would not worry about it. I have taken apart engs. that have had bad pitting and bad gouges from broken rings and once from a swallowed valve and ran fine after put together

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 05:01 pm:

As long as you have good valve seats and the head gasket will seal, you have no problem.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration