What have you found in your car during restoration?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What have you found in your car during restoration?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Redelman, Kouts, IN on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 04:11 pm:

Well I've started to clean out the original 1926 Fordor and I found a 1919 Buffalo Nickel along the inside of the body wood and where the side quarter is nailed. The Nickel has red oxide paint on one side which makes me believe someone lost it during the assembly of the body.

Has anyone found interesting things as they restore or clean original cars?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 04:21 pm:

I found a couple of unique items in the door of my 26 Tudor. I was working on replacing the orginal plate glass with safety glass and came across these two items.

The first item I found is a Silent Movie Bill for "Fifth Avenue", A John C. Flinn film staring Marguerite De La Motte and Allan Forrest. This was to be shown at the Jansen Theatre in Jansen, Nebraska on Saturday and Sunday June 12 and 13, 1926. Jansen is a very small town west of Beatrice between Beatrice and Fairbury. I have been through Jansen several times and have never seen anything other than a grain elevator and a tavern. It is interesting to note that my car is November 1925 built car and this film was being shown in June 1926. This movie bill has been in the car since new!

The second item is a campaign card for Dwight Griswold. He was an unsuccessful candidate for Nebraska Governor in 1932, 1934 and 1936. He was elected Governor in 1940 and re-elected in 1942 and 1944. I'm not sure which campaign this card is for.

This car is a very original 26 interior is original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Mokelumne Hill, Calif. on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 04:26 pm:

rp.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 06:47 pm:

Chuck,

Are you building a "rat rod"?

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 07:03 pm:

Found these goodies in backseat rest upholstery on removal from the 1921 Autowa bodied Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 07:10 pm:

Found a very rusty buffalo nickel in the side panel during patch panel installation on my 1927 coupe. It was very crusty but cleaned up pretty good. Harv.nickel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 07:29 pm:

I used to have a TT and when I went to get it to run I pulled the coils and rebuilt them, cleaned the carb, etc., etc. when I went to start the thing it was only running on three. What had happened was somebody years ago slipped a receipt in the coil box between the coils and the box. When I pulled the coils it fell to the bottom and partially covered the strip on the bottom stopping one coil from getting power. The receipt was for 7 gallons of gas, 1 quart of oil, and one model T spark plug. $3. Seems like it was dated 1951? I still have the receipt someplace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 08:37 pm:

I found a 1927 Florida license plate under the rear seat of my '27 Touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 11:09 pm:

Last week I found a half-penny used as a bush/washer between the two rear axles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 12:31 am:

I found a couple of old un-fired paper shot gun shells under the back seat of a barn find 27 Tudor T in Texas many years ago. I still have them stored away somewhere but I have no idea where!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 02:58 am:

Under the bsck seat of the barn fresh tourer I found two years ago, buried in rat turds,dog bones and almond shells, was this quart oil bottle.oil bottle

When I found the logo of the Australian Glass Manufacturing Co on the base, I did some research. It turns out that the Daylube Aviation Oil Co was around in the 1920s as an Australian company. My find is the rarest of their bottles, and one was last on offer at 480 dollars!

Not a bad find at all.
Allan from down umder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 07:37 am:

I found 3 things of interest when restoring my Model A that I bought from my brother-in-law. First was a posterboard sign I found in one of the doors. It was something that my brother-in-law's father had made when showing the car at a car show or maybe a parade, back in the 60's. It must have slipped between the glass and the door and fell down inside. The second was a special bolt that is used to hold the spare tire carrier on the car. It is the only bolt like that in the whole car and it was between the edge of the wooden subframe and the back sheet metal panel. An assembly line worker must have dropped it and rather than fishing it out, just put another one in there. The third is the neatest, in my opinion. The interior trim around the windshield was "Woodgrained", a process which required a base coat of paint then the "Grain" inked over it using some sort of special roller or something. Anyway, the front side had long since been painted over and then rusted, but the back side was almost pristine. It was essentially the base coat of paint plus the fingerprints, in ink, of the craftsman who did the wood graining. Obviously, they didn't woodgrain the back side that wouldn't show, but the man had handled the part with inky hands and gotten his fingerprints on there. That is very special to me, and I could not bear to strip that paint or paint over it. I masked it off and left it. Although it doesn't show, I know it is there and which ever of my sons inherits the car will know too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 08:07 am:

Jansen had a movie theater. Silverdale had a bank and a hotel, and so did Geuda Springs. Now all those enterprises are gone, killed off by our favorite car as people drove to the bigger towns to do their business. Our county has about the same population it had a hundred years ago, but now most of the people are concentrated around the two main towns and the little towns have faded.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 08:19 am:

Had trouble with a 1939 Chev. Would run for a while then quit. After I blew the gas line out it would run ok again for a while then quit again. Took the tank off to clean it and found several burnt wooden matches in the tank. Guess the guy I bought it from thought he could get more from the insurance company than from selling the car but must have given up after several unsuccessful tries.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 09:20 am:

I found an original key in the top bow material of my touring. I assume it was stuck up there as an emergency spare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 09:51 am:

Years ago while restoring my 1966 Shelby GT350 Mustang I found a sticker about a scheduled union meeting glued to the front transmission tunnel where it would have been visible to all the workers on the San Jose, California assembly line where the car was built before being shipped to the Shelby plant in Los Angeles for modification. I also found one of the rear interior kick panels had "Ford Sucks" scrawled across the backside. Guess there was "labor problems" in the mid 1960's at that Ford plant.
Howard Dennisshelby

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 09:57 am:

I had my wife's '61 Morris Minor on a rotisserie during restoration. After it had been rotated around a few times a very rusty 10mm X 12mm open ended "Toyota Motor Company" wrench fell out.

Many years ago I bought a '47 Mercury pickup that had been sitting outside for a couple of years. The gas cap was missing and there was a rag stuffed in the filler neck. I had a lot of trouble with the gas line plugging up so I took the gas tank out to clean it. Out came about 2 cupfulls of gravel, a 1" paint brush and a piece of rubber weather stripping about 18" long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 11:03 am:

Great idea for a thread!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 11:24 am:

I have a friend that bought a 59 el camino at a auction years ago that had no heater when he went to put a heater in it he found the heater ducts full of pot he called the police they took the car for months when he picked it up it was all torn apart when he complaned they told him he was luckey to not go to jail!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 12:06 pm:

One '23 Touring had a small mouse hole at the bottom of the front seat but no occupant. He must have moved to the tail pipe because on the first start-up it made a heck of a mess. The other had enough moth balls to supply a small town. Took weeks for the smell to dissipate!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 12:19 pm:

Rust.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 12:24 pm:

My A smells like moth balls. After spending $2400 on an upholstery kit, I'll be damned if the moths are gonna have it for lunch. I keep them in a shallow tray and remove them before driving, but the smell stays with you. Small price to pay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 12:25 pm:

Decades ago when reupholstering my "everyday driver" 39 Ch###y sedan I found a 1941 SF World's Fair medallion, and some period coins (I forget now what they were).
Hal, those fingerprints are common on the A woodgraining. The roller doesn't make it into the corners, so they had to dry-brush the grain their. Oftentimes you can clean and lightly (VERY lightly) sand the woodgrained surface that looks terrible, then clear-coat it with Lacquer and the woodgrain comes right back--it's there, just hidden under crazed and dirty clear coat. I once saved a very complex woodgrained mid-30s dash that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 01:04 pm:

When I did my '22 Coupe I found a wooden gas gage stick with the ad on it for Don's Service Station, Dover Ohio, Phone 386. "New Navy Gasoline and Mobil oil" Free crankcase service; a few coins, and a sign with the former owners name on it that I think he used to display at shows and a bar of body lead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Elenbaas - Granger, Washington on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 05:48 pm:

While restoring my 25 roadster PU I found a Liberty Head nickel. It was so worn that a date could not be determined. A friend of mine, now deceased while removing the original upholstery from his 15 touring found a upholstery pliers left behind when it was assembled. I always wondered if he got docked for loosing his tool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 06:47 pm:

I found a small tin car in the back of my Tudor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 06:51 pm:

Found this stuff under back seat on our 16 covered with mouse turds and seat stuffing I think it's a key for old coffee can

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 07:06 pm:

When restoring a 25 Fordor Sedan behind the rear seat cushion I found a round wire hair pin and a button from a woman's blouse. Must have been a party back there at one time.

Fordor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 08:39 pm:

I found a 1929 Buffalo nickel carefully tacked inside the rumble seat side-panel of the 1929 REO coupe I had when I was in high school. Sold the REO 40 years ago. Still have the nickel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 08:39 am:

What have you found in your car during restoration? Rot and rust~

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 10:21 am:

In my '65 Corvair I found a 1950 Franklin 50 cent piece and a professors I.D. Card from University of Florida.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 10:38 am:

In my 26 four door sedan, I found two registration receipts under the rear seat which helped me trace the origin of the car.

In my Grandfather's 27 coupe, we found enough rat poop to fertilize a good size garden with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 11:10 am:

Is that "Rotten Rust?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 09:51 pm:

I have a couple of "Money pits" I found.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 12:16 pm:

A dead mouse under the back seat of the 31 Model A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 02:34 pm:

When we removed the homemade upholstery from my 1923 Runabout we were surprised to find some damage to the rear body panel that was hidden by the turtledeck:

These look like shotgun pellet dents to me. This car was built from junk parts from many different eras and I'll bet this body spent some time abandoned in a field somewhere.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 03:09 pm:

When I was cleaning my 1916 motor before rebuilding it a 1924 penny came out of the water jacket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 03:36 pm:

Somebody had heard of using a coin as a freeze plug and tried to cheap out with a penny instead of a nickel. Let that be a lesson to us all! :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jon pederson, Minneapolis,MN on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 04:42 pm:

Schrader pressure guage

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 07:14 pm:

A friend of mine had a '29 A coupe that was their everyday driver for decades, then became a barn queen. When he got around to starting it's restoration, and stripped the body, he found out the drivers rear quarter was all smashed in and filled in with lead! Probably a pound of it! Later told me if he'd realized what was happening there, he would have left that part alone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 08:36 pm:

After moving to North Carolina n 1979, I latched on to a nice original 1967 Mustang to use as an everyday commuter car. I bought it from a young fellow at NC State University. Fast forward to an early morning flight I needed to take and the cold winter was too much for the weak battery. I ran into the house and told my wife that I would have to take her car but that the mustang would start when the sun warmed up the car. I arrived home late that evening and was greeted by my wife with the words, "guess what I found under the seat of the Mustang today?". She had trouble moving the seat and looked to see if something was binding it. She found and empty box of CONDOMS. She excepted my explanation that I had never looked under the seat since I had bought the car. Needless to say, one of the first things I do when buying a used car is clean UNDER THE SEAT!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 09:53 pm:

R.S.

Your story reminds me of a Rodney Dangerfield story...He said he bought a used car and opened the glove box and found a pair of his wifes under pants..."I get no respect!"

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration