Model year

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Model year
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Conarroe on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 04:51 pm:

Looking to date this photo taken in Colorado. Any thoughts on year(s) these Model Ts were built? Thanks.

WhatYear

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 05:12 pm:

Ford on the left - 1919 - 1922. If it has side lamps, 1917 - 1922. Not enough detail in the photo to pinpoint.

The car on the right is not a Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Conarroe on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 11:34 am:

Thanks Erik. Appreciate your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 05:00 pm:

The picture is just not clear enough. The little runabout may be a Metz, circa 1915 or '16. There is some similarity to a '13 or '14 Metz, but the radiator and hood don't look quite right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 09:59 pm:

Doug,

If you have the original photograph and you can scan it at 300 x 300 dpi or something higher it might provide enough details to refine the date. You will not be able to post the complete photo at that high resolution. But if you crop just the car on the left and post that, it is amazing the details this group can provide to you. And you might have to post it as front half and rear half to keep it under the 196 kb or so size. For an illustration of how a higher resolution photo can sometimes be helpful please see my posting of our 1918 touring at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/538954.html and how the higher resolution allows you to read the year on the license plate.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 01:36 pm:

I blew it up X500 and saw no shadows where the side lamps would be located, so I guess it is 19 thru 22.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 07:42 am:

Tony,

If you have a clear copy you can also look at the top rest bracket and normally tell if is it the earlier style or the later 1921 1925 style that comes through the side of the touring. That would date it either 1919-1920 or 1921-22 for you if you can make out that detail.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 10:14 am:

I thought 1922 was the first year the top saddle iron came through the body?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 08:38 am:

Larry,

Thanks for the question. Because of it I double checked and on page 317 of Bruce's book "Model T Ford" the photo above is captions 1921-1925.

On the same page Bruce (RIP) shared:
" In our research it has not been possible to
pin-point the actual date of introduction of the
new 1921-style open cars. Our best guess is that
it was about the first of the year (1921) in spite of
the numerous references to the new bodies during
the latter part of 1920. Furthermore, there is little
doubt that the earlier-type bodies continued in
production at the branches for some time after the
Highland Park plant had made the changeover.

..... The new quarter panel was a one piece
stamping making the section a continuous
piece of metal from the door to the rear panel.
In addition, the top support iron which held the
top saddle now came through the quarter panel,
eliminating the L-shaped forged bracket which
had been bolted to the top of the body."

Note the Model T Ford Club International Judging Guidelines sixth edition (available from: http://modelt.org/featured/product/judging-guidelines/ note -- it looks a like a blank screen on my old computer -- but if I scroll down its there. Be sure to ask for the high resolution photos in the "All the Same Section")
Under the 1921 section line #100 bodies it has to the effect some early 1921s had the 5 piece rear tub and later 1921s had the 3 piece tub with the top bracket through the side.

Again thanks for asking. That is how we are able to make things a little more accurate.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration