What year did T's come out of the factory left hand drive?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What year did T's come out of the factory left hand drive?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 04:53 pm:

I see some early cars on eBay are left hand drive were they all left hand drive in the us from the first model or did you get a choice up to a certain date?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 05:19 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 05:40 pm:

Because I usually am, I'm probably wrong on this too.....but I'm lead to believe that all Model T's manufactured in the USofA were left hand drive.
RHD T's were only manufactured in Canada, UK and Aust.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 06:07 pm:

Kevin -- Ford everywhere produced RHD cars from the Model A, B, C (AC), F, K, N, R, S, & SR. With the introduction of the Model T they were initially only left hand drive but that was very quickly followed by the right hand drive cars.

Rob -- Ford USA also produced both left and RHD Model T Fords. (And so did Ford of England at different times.)

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 09:30 pm:

Thanks Hap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 10:03 pm:

The main reason i started this post is I was talking to somebody who is heavily involved in T's and he believes they didn't make them in LHD until 1913. I din't agree as every pic I've seen on eBay and on this forum etc of earlier model T's all show them LHD.
Rob were Aussie T's Canadian rolling chassis & just the body was made in Aussie? That is how Holden started up I believe.
Hap - So are you saying it was possible to buy a RHD USA built T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Monday, June 08, 2015 - 11:00 pm:

Kevin,
Yes Holden did make bodies for T's, however they also made them for several other makes and I think they were in existence prior to T's. If you look at my profile pic, you'll see a Steenbohms body, built in Sydney.
Due to a Federal tariff on imported bodies, there were several (almost "many") different body builders in Australia, but I'll leave all that up to someone else who really knows what they're taking about, to comment further, maybe Peter Kable.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 12:34 am:

Kevin, Maybe the confusion is for automobiles other than Fords. At the Ford Piquette Avenue Plant we have Flanders, Overland and Cadillac cars from 1912 and they still have right hand drive. I believe, though don't quote me, that they changed over in 1913 to match Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 01:10 am:

The pictures of all early Model Ts, including the prototype, were all Left Hand Drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 01:32 am:

Thanks Guys, Thomas it looks like you might have found the source of the confusion.
Tony that's what I have noticed also.
Rob that sounds about what I'd heard and is enough at Ford v Holden debates to wind the Holden guys up a bit lol. You implied in your first bit right hand cars were made in Aussie not just the bodies?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 02:35 am:

Kevin,
Ford started making complete cars (T's) in Geelong in 1925.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 03:57 am:

Really I never knew that, were they exactly the same as the US & Canadian versions? Shame they got into so late but I guess they made the model A's there afterwards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 05:19 am:

The australian versions of the improved T's were special and used only a minimum amount of US imported sheet metal, just the visible sheets. The inner reinforcements were made from wood just like in earlier Model T's. the reason was to use as much local labor as possible since import tariffs were high on foreign made cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 04:31 pm:

So a auzzie '26 closed car would be wood framed much like the cars before it? cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 11:44 pm:

I'm not even sure they made closed cars in Australia? They seems to have been very rare over there and may have been imported at higher cost?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Prideaux Margaret River West Oz on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 12:31 am:

According to the Ford History in Australia book I have, in the early years bodies were made all over the place, even by the local blacksmith employed by the dealer in some cases. Richards in Adelaide and Holden were responsible for many prior to Ford opening the Geelong factory.
Holden started as a Saddler in the mid 1800's, set up Holden Body Builders in 1919 and become sole supplies to GM in 1924. GM purchased Holden in 1931.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration