Anyone ever installed a 26 - 27 spare tire carrier on a 23 - 25?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Anyone ever installed a 26 - 27 spare tire carrier on a 23 - 25?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 08:24 am:

Sure could use some ideas on how to do this and make it strong enough to support the wire wheel. I have a trailer hitch accessory that mounts to the rear spring clamps that might be part of the final solution unless someone has a better idea.

Here's what I have now:

I need to install this somehow:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 08:37 am:

You need a spare tire carrier, part # 2872-B that was used on '26/'27 Tourings:

carrier
(picture from the 1928 spare part list by Hap Tucker)

It was fastened to the rear spring clamps.
Something similar can be fabricated, but the real part can probably be found at the right swap meet..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 08:38 am:

Royce

That mount is for the runabout/coupe. That short one won't work on the touring rear tub, as the angle is too big on the body to fit a tire.

The touring/sedan uses the 'gooseneck' mount as shown in the Parts Book.

It attaches to the rear spring clip.

As for trailer hitch, have seen them welded to this gooseneck mount, like an extension, and that may the best way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Benjamin on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 08:55 am:

Hi Royce:

My 1924 touring car (restored in the '50s) uses the 26/27 "Y" spare tire carrier. (In this case, it's for the high pressure tire.) It's bolted on to a gooseneck device that's then attached to the rear spring clamps. I'll try to get some better pictures. Meanwhile (Yes, I know the top is "wrong" too.), here's a view:

1924 Model T with 26/27 tire carrier

I'm no expert on 26/27, but I think the item you have pictured is for the sedans.

Best,

Rick Benjamin
Lewisburg, PA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 09:01 am:

Rick, the 30" Y mount must be a rare part since so few '26 models were sold with 30x3" clinchers.

Ford was smart there with modular thinking - the base gooseneck has three bolts that mounts the wire wheel, then you can fasten either a smaller Y for a 21" demountable rim or this larger version "Y" for a 30" rim on the same three bolts :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 09:02 am:

Would the later style 26-27 spare tire mount work? I believe its the one that mounts on the rear cross member and has the Y-shaped tire mount. Take off the Y shaped mount and use the one you have pictured.

Which ever way you go its going to take some modifying.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 09:03 am:

I used a 2872-B tire carrier on my '24 Tudor.
It's nice and solid...you could probably weld a hitch to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 09:17 am:

Royce I have a 2872-B tire mount. PM me if you need it. I'm down the road off 35 South close to Waco.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 09:32 am:

I used to own a 26 touring with 30 X 3 1/2s. The bracket from under the spring clamps I believe would be the same for all of them, but the one for the 30 X 3 1/2 rim would be difficult to find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 09:35 am:

John I sent you a PM.

Thanks everyone!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 09:46 am:

Got this gooseneck '26-'27 carrier at Hershey, and mounted it to my '24 for trailer hitch.

The spare on my '24 is stock carrier, but this shorty touring car hitch with the welded on receiver hitch fits right thru the circle mount! Passes right thru the spare tire/clincher rim.

Have seen others where a receiver hitch sq tube was welded under the gooseneck arm, and that looked good too, but has to be low enough to pass under the wire wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Hansen on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 11:21 am:

I have two 23 open cars converted to wire. On one I used as referred to as the 26 goose neck carrier mounted on the rear spring u bolts. Not really satisfied with it for various reasons

The other I used either a 21" or 30" regular frame mount carrier for the pre 26 cars. knocked the rivets out straighten the curve bolted metal across from one mount to the other, bolted a 26 Coupe tire carrier on the cross piece. Way less vibration and stronger than the 26 system

Everything was bolted no welding, the original early frame mounted brackets and the spare carrier can be riveted back to original no damage to an original item

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 11:09 pm:

I have been looking for the same gooseneck Royce was. Not much luck up here in Wisconsin. Would love to have the 30 inch Y that goes with it as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 01:29 am:

I modified a 3872B spare carrier to fit Bud wire wheels on our 13 touring. The two ears that bolt to the spring U-bolts will need some grinding to clear the Ruckstell housing on hard bumps. The finished spare carrier seems very strong for the job. Also required a special bracket to move the tail lamp over to clear the spare. Did not drill any holes or make any modifications to the car that can not be returned to original.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration