Arc Welder DC for Magneto Recharge ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Arc Welder DC for Magneto Recharge ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 03:10 pm:

I am thinking of using my Arc Welder on DC+ for a recharge of a weak mag. First I need a thumbs up or down and next how much should I set the Amps for .............Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 03:38 pm:

I think it will destroy your magneto. Just use a car battery and flash it across the terminal for a split second. Just my opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 03:44 pm:

In car, I would not do it.

I do it out of car and it works great. I set my welder on DC and crank it up all the way. I use a mag ring on the flywheel. I take a bolt and clamp it in the electrode holder and hold it tight against the solder button for the mag post and then flash the ground clamp on the mounting area of the mag 3 times.

When I'm done I have to pry the mag ring off of the magnets. I can pick up the assembled trans and flywheel with the mag ring after this process.

Wear leather gloves while doing this process as it makes you jump around quite a bit if YOU complete the circuit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 03:57 pm:

I do it all of the time. Never had a problem. I set it to 200 amps on my welder. Yours may be different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 04:56 pm:

O.K., guess I'm wrong. Not the first time. Not even the first time today...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 05:25 pm:

Looking for more input. I was going to remove mag post and insert a 3/8 inch rod with a blunt point , insulate the side so it does not short. then flash the ground to excite. All your opinions are important as I have not done this before and it is on a friends car. Tom I was hoping some one else had tried this and you have certainly said it works. If others have negative or positive advise it is welcome, I hope to have more information when this thread is done. I do have one 12v DC in good condition but need to do more work to do the 3 12v batteries in series.........FYI the car currently shows 3.8 volts at idle and won't run the coils..........Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 12:39 am:

Done it.
Worked well.
I highly recommend it.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 01:35 am:

Robert, yes a blunt rod, insulated. I use a 1/4" bolt, or sometimes a center punch, taped up on the sides and flash to ground. I have never heard of anyone having anything bad happen doing it this way.

Here is a thread where we went over this ad nauseum.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/537783.html?1430501824

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 07:03 am:

Tom , what is the time or how long do you excite with the ground.......is it a flash ........or a few seconds and how often.....BOB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 07:24 am:

Robert, just a flash. I do it several times for good measure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 08:09 am:

It works, more than a flash you will melt something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 08:35 am:

I agree with Tom. I have recharged several sets of magnets with my DC arc welder. 200 amps and just a couple of flashes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 09:02 am:

Wow, It's amazing that we all agree on something for once :-).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 11:08 pm:

LOL.......it doesn't matter if there are 10,000 amps available to the coils.
Coil resistance will limit the current accordingly.
If you opened a faucet at the foot of Hoover Dam you'd get only a stream.......not the entire back water.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration