Rear Brake Drum Temp. Measurements.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Rear Brake Drum Temp. Measurements.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX. on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 06:07 pm:

Have there been any rear brake drum temp measurement made before and after braking use. I recorded 164F after driving and 284F after hard braking. Just wondering if I'm getting near a critical temp where something could seize up. The ambient temp was 98f. It's hot in Texas...already..Jerry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 09:20 pm:

I know that I have had a few hotter than that over the years. But I think that is around normal. One of the race cars I used to have had a shortened frame. I would often reach back and touch the outside brake bands to feel them when driving to judge how much harder I could use the brakes. If I could hold my finger onto the band, it was pull down the throttle! If I couldn't hold my finger there, I eased back so to need less braking.
On other cars, I have burned the paint off of the bands.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 10:13 pm:

What kind of rear brakes are they? Texas T disc conversion?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX. on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 10:41 pm:

Rocky Mountain......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 11:36 pm:

284 degrees seems like kind of cool for maximum braking effort. I would have expected higher? I will have to check mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 08:09 am:

Actually Jerry I'm kind of surprised. I know a lot of T driver's drive in a manner that seldom calls for brakes at all. With conservative driving and engine breaking, usually the only need for brakes is slowly stopping the last few feet. I guess speedsters and hilly driving could be a lot different though.

Are you using an IR thermometer? Checked the calibration?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen 40 miles west of chicago on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 12:42 pm:

As an aside, to check calibration use Ice (not Ice water, but solid Ice) The surface will always be 32F, and boiling water, the surface of which will always be 212. Good enough for NASA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 01:26 pm:

I wouldn't worry about seizing up. I would worry about fade and loss of braking at high temps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX. on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 10:53 pm:

Thanks to all for your generous information/suggestions. I'm going on the Chochran tour which includes the steps to Lake Louise and the like. So, my brakes need to be up to snuff. What I had up to this point were "coaster" brakes but that won't do for this tour. I have the DS rear wheel to the point It will skid. That's the drum that read 284F. The PS rear wheel drum read 164f and it is not contributing much to my stopping effort. So, If I can put some miles on "ole black" and not smoke the DS brake lining then I'll tighten PS rear drum till I get something close to 284f and see if that will do it. This is the older Rocky Mountain set up that does not have the equalizer. I use the temp meter on my trailer wheel hubs. A hot hub means bearing wear. Jerry.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 11:24 pm:

Do you have a straight piece of gravel / dirt road nearby? There it's easy to lock the wheels while testing and adjust so both wheels brake about the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX. on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 09:34 am:

Roger, thanks....Yes I agree. The first thing I need to decide is will the drum withstand 284f with out smoking. Had this to happen last year in Utah. That's why I've resorted to measuring the drum temp. Hopefully I can establish a benchmark that says OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince M on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 05:57 pm:

Ice coming directly out of a zero degree freezer will be zero degrees..

Vince

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration