Rearend gears

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Rearend gears
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 06:13 pm:

I`M INSTALLING A NEW MODERN SPOOL NONE ADJUSTABLE. I`M GETTING WAY TO MUCH BACK LASH BETWEEN THE GEARS. Has anyone encountered this problem with the new spools ? Only thing I know to do is shim the ring gear closer to the pinion gear. Has anyone else had this problem?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 05:33 am:

If you read the Ford Service manual, you were never supposed to check the back lash between ring and pinion. Ford likely never had to during production? I think they built the axle assemblies with a generous nominal backlash like 0.025" to cover all variations during production.

The only problem with the large play resulting from building with factory specifications is a lot of wear on the ring gears it seems from looking at originals.

There are worse things that can happen if the play is too small - the pinion gear can crack after high speed driving with too little play when everything gets heated up..

There are dangers with shimming the ring gear too, I have read reports here at the forum about sheared ring gear bolts happening more often with shimmed ring gears.

If you really like to have a smaller play, you can mix and match the thrust washers to move the whole differential sideways. I wouldn't go less than 0.010" in play. Check carefully all the way around, since the carrier can be bent and thus make the ring gear wobble.

I left the play on the large side - my new ring and pinion gear should last for many many years of driving anyway :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 07:40 am:

Your a life saver, thanks a lot!!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration