Put on16 back tires

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Put on16 back tires
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 06:45 pm:

Put new tires on the rear of our 16 put plastic bag on one soapy water on other went on pretty easy but I did put tires on hood of a black car all day and it was 80 deg. Thanks for the tire tips! I forgot who gave them to me! I think one tube might be original my dad put on the tires in 1941

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 10:45 pm:

The only way I know to preserve those old inner tubes is to mount them back inside tires!? Which is sad. I have tried to save several of them over the years as I think such things are worth preserving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 11:05 am:

Paul: You keep on finding new interesting stuff. I would definitely keep the old valve stems from those tubes, and somewhere down the line, clean them up and let us know what the markings on them are. It is unlikely that they are original to the car, but it would be nice to know anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 01:16 pm:

Wayne the allstate tube could be patched I think it has about 4 small spots that are bad that I think I can fix.it has 6 or more patches. the firestone that might be original to the car has only one hot patch but it is so weak I dont think it can be saved. next I will do the fronts I hope I can keep the original white tires intact the rears broke apart while taking off and they were new in 41! when I bought new tires I got 4 30+3.1/2 tubes so I need 2 30+3 tubes Larry the only valve cap on car was on the allstate tube so I dont know if it is original. when I get the fronts off I will put up more pics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 01:42 pm:

Back in '41 the Firestone tube was only 25 years old if original to this low mileage '16, so I guess it would have been natural for your father to reuse it if it held air. Did it hold air when you picked up the car from long time storage?
I agree with Wayne, the only way to preserve such a gem is slightly inflated inside a tire - I'd just add "in a dark cellar".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 06:25 pm:

Rodger I think it was 1988 when I moved the car from where it sat since 1942 the rears were flat it slipped off the jacks it was on years before but the fronts held air they were blocked up I did not put it on blocks and front tires now wont hold air. I want to save the fronts the best I can but I dont know if I can the backs broke apart at beed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 09:25 pm:

Great post about tubes and tires but when I first read the title I thought you installed 16 different back tires on 16 different rims!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 11:19 am:

The information I'm referring to is stamped on the sides of the valve stems, not on the caps. The dust covers usually have the maker around the base of the dust cover.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration