New Old Stock - Stretching the Meaning of the Term?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: New Old Stock - Stretching the Meaning of the Term?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 07:31 pm:

Someone on T-bay is currently listing a Fel-Pro engine gasket set for a Model T as "New Old Stock".

I can understand an unused original Ford company gasket set being listed as NOS, but Fel-Pro?

I alway thought that NOS only applied to original, OEM factory replacement parts that were stocked at one time at a dealership, but never installed on a car.

Am I being too picky? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 08:02 pm:

Not picky...you are correct.

If non-original equipment old period items, the correct term is

NORS...New Old Replacement Stock

NOS only means New Old Stock (original mfg. supply)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 08:04 pm:

I had a bunch of NOS gaskets once. After about 50 or 60 years, most of them had become hard, brittle, and basically unusable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Milford, Ohio on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 08:41 pm:

I had someone at Hershey try and sell me a rear 13 fender as NOS. I looked at him and said your kidding right? There was plenty of wear in the mounting holes as well as other wear from being mounted, and painted over rust! Maybe he meant 'nice old stuff', instead of 'new old stock'? ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 09:56 pm:

On Ebay, anything old with dust on it is a barn find. Anything old with no dust is new old stock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 12:37 am:

Sometimes all that glitters is sequins and not gold! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 07:06 am:

A lot of stuff advertised turns out to be nasty old stuff. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 10:59 am:

I have a NOS Ford script head gasket, but am wondering if Ford ever offered a complete set of gaskets for an engine rebuild?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 11:13 pm:

How about this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-MODEL-T-FORD-CLUB-NO-239-NEW-OLD-STOCK-/111690518703 ?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1a014610af

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 11:23 pm:

When buying on the internet or anywhere else, it's always buyer beware!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 11:33 am:

To my way of thinking if its NEW and it's OLD STOCK, it doesn't matter what brand it is, it's still "new old stock" aka NOS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 01:35 am:

Technically, NOS indicates factory parts. NORS are aftermarket NOS parts, like Bulldog spring shackles, Wards king pins, etc. Oftentimes the replacement suppliers provided the factory parts, so they are not "inferior, gypo" parts.
This definition was accepted practice back in the 1970s! I guess we tend to be more "liberal" about definitions nowadays. After all, a "Classic Chevy" technically isn't a Classic Car as accepted by the CCofA. I gave up that "fight" decades ago!! :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration