Old Photo - Brass Coupe Street Scene

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Brass Coupe Street Scene
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 11:53 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 12:05 am:

wrong radiator or something?????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 12:09 am:

The picture was taken in the 1950's. The car has a lot of incongruous parts, the demountable wheels and the cowl lamps for example. It is an early "restoration".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 12:14 am:

From that picture, it looks like a very rare center drive model..:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 02:07 am:

The early days of the antique automobile hobby produced some very strange creations, as well as some sad losses. A lot more is known today about automobile production and history the first two or three decades of the last past century than was commonly known sixty years ago. It seems strange, considering that many of the people that made that history were still alive when that photo was taken probably about 1950.

That coupe has "T" shaped door handles as opposed to the "bail" or "stirrup" handles the earlier coupes had. The door handles would have been easy to change at any time, however, there is also no cross brace visible from under the front fender. Again, the car could have forged running board brackets and been simply missing that brace, or the running board brackets could have been changed at some point (although not so easy). But the lack of that brace indicates (not absolutely) that the frame, and therefore the coupe, likely would be 1921 or later. That fits with the door handle.
There were after-market radiator shells with that shape available in the early '20s. I don't think they were ever very popular because of the similarity in shape the the then badly outdated brass radiators of the early to mid '10s. There were, however, several expensive cars that also did use a similar shape radiator surround, not the least of which was Rolls Royce. Moon used that style for a couple years, as did McFarlan. Cheap imitations were offered for Fords. So I wonder if that is one? Or something that somebody simply made up?
An interesting photo. Thank you Jay!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 02:23 am:

Hmm, gas headlights,side lanterns ,oh well to each their own interpretation for the time.
I guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 10:28 am:

Early attempt to make newer car into a 1915 so they could go on HCCA tour! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 10:49 am:

Parts is Parts!:-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTzLVIc-O5E

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 11:01 am:

"Is it original - yes - built it myself from parts I bought."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 02:01 pm:

It almost looks like someone put sharp corners on a black rad. I wonder how well the hood actually fits.

John- the centre drive model T was the McLaren F1 of its day...

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration