OT - Nobody does it like Kate Smith

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Nobody does it like Kate Smith
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 01:05 pm:

An old friend sent this. I didn't realize it, bur Kate Smith introduced this song in 1940, as the U.S. was still reeling from the Great Depression and Europe and Asia were embroiled in conflict.

Well into the clip, an actor who would become well known is seen. Written by Irving Berlin in 1917, "God Bless America" sat on the shelf until Kate Smith asked Berlin for a special number. I hope you enjoy this, I certainly have.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/TnQDW-NMaRs?rel=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 03:42 pm:

That looks like a man who would later become a great president, perhaps, the greatest so far in my lifetime.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 03:51 pm:

I wish we could hear that song more often and also have the attitude protrayed by that song. I can remember as a boy, how we went all in for WINNING the war and we did in just a little over 3 years! That truly was the, "greatest generation." The United States was and still is the greatest country in history. We need to take it back.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 04:20 pm:

No one has ever come close to expressing that song more beautifully, as Kate Smith did!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 05:51 pm:

Rob, thanks for posting this. This, and all patriotic songs, send chills up my spine every single time I hear them. I fly Old Glory 24/7 (well, except for severe storms and part of winter anyway!), but point is I agree with Norman...greatest country on earth and in history.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 09:44 pm:

Thanks for posting this Rob. I have received this many many times and I always sit and play it again no matter how many time I have heard it I play it again. I brings back some great memories of sitting around a campfire and singing this song as well as other patriotic songs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 12:01 am:

Extra points if you can ID the guy in the scene with the Gipper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 12:38 am:

George Murphy, future United States Senator:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 12:41 am:

As long as we're going there, you may as well watch this. Every ground pounder has heard it:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=71smG5d29to

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 09:11 am:

This song is my wife's "theme song"...she's not a morning person like me. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 11:13 am:

Kate Smith was one of the best. I have a lot of her music.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 11:47 am:

Rob, Thanks for reminding us what America was, and hopefully will be again someday. Nobody sings that song like Kate Smith. Harv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 12:03 pm:

I agree Norm. Reagan WAS the greatest President in my life time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 12:32 pm:

He was a good one. Harry and Ike weren't bad either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 10:04 am:

Kate Smith also had her own TV show back in the '50s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 02:37 pm:

A couple things ....

America, as a collective entity, seems to have trouble telling the difference between:

"We the people" .... or "We the corporation" ?

and

"Give me liberty, or give me death, as opposed to "Give me convenience, or give me death"

One has begat the other to a point this once great experiment of ours has been sold down
the toilet by shysters and a more than willing American public whose work ethic is patterned
upon American Idol.

Good luck with any return to "the old days". This ain't my Grandparents' America anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 01:46 am:

And we do not live in a Democracy where majority rules; we live in a Representative Republic which (is supposed to) respects the rights of the minority too. Granted, when formed, the issue was rural vs urban--and in some ways this is till a major issue! That's why we have a House of Representatives based on population and a Senate based on States (or, in other words, regions)--and also why the President is elected by an Electorial College.
Yes, the original plan is not well-followed nowadays. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 09:19 am:

I've always thought "God Bless America" or "America The Beautiful" should be our national anthem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 12:23 pm:

And Kate Smith should be one of the 100 most important women, not that other actor's daughter who should be--well, I'm not goin' there! I just think Kate Smith was/is the best! Liked her since I was about 5 years old and saw her on that new-fangled Television thingy!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration