Apco brake pedal to clutch disengager?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Apco brake pedal to clutch disengager?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Redelman, Kouts, IN on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 01:14 pm:

Has anyone seen or used an Apco brake to clutch apparatus? This hardly used 1926 Fordor I am getting ready to drive has one installed on it. Well it consist of a chain which is connected from the brake pedal and runs down to the clutch lever adjustment bolt. This allows the clutch to disengage when applying the brake pedal?
My question is why? Wouldn't this disengage the internal brake from the rear wheels. Its no wonder this car has hardly been driven, or am I missing something?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 01:20 pm:

Sounds like a way to brake without pulling the high speed/brake lever or engage the clutch (low speed pedal half way). It may work well, as long as you don't forget to do engage the clutch after coming to a stop and releasing the brake pedal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 01:30 pm:

Disengaging the clutch won't stop the brake pedal from working, just stop the engine from doing a little additional braking work.

I think it sounds like an unusual and interesting but unnecessary accessory - maybe the original owner who put it there used to forget to press down the clutch pedal halfway right before stopping to avoid stalling the engine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Redelman, Kouts, IN on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 01:32 pm:

Rob that's what it was probably meant to do if adjusted properly. It might be worth putting back on and trying it. I guess I won't knock it until I try it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 01:35 pm:

I used to drive our Tudor with my left leg/foot on the left side of the brake/high lever. The narrow space and seat allowed me to sit more comfortably in the seat. I would just pull the lever up halfway when braking, then start in low letting the lever forward. This allowed me to drive "one legged" like an automatic. This device might have made that even easier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince M on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 02:46 pm:

possibly a handicapped driver.

vince

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 03:38 pm:

If you live where I live, you wouldn't be very safe with that accessory. You need the engine to hold back the car when going downhill. If you apply the brake to slow the car even more, it would automatically take the engine out of the loop. It would not disengage the transmission brake, but would stop the engine braking. However, you could still use the engine braking by pushing the low pedal into low gear. This would be hard on the drivetrain if you were going very fast when you pushed the low pedal.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 07:31 pm:

Rob -- When I was working on your Tudor after Charlie bought it, I bent the brake lever over where it's supposed to be. That allows Charlie to drive the car without straddling the brake lever. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 12:46 am:

Mike, that's the way the first owner, Edgar Stolz and his family drove it. As the third owner, that's the way I drove it.

:-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration