Brake lining rivets.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Brake lining rivets.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 04:40 pm:

Got some new brake linings today. I thought they would come with the familiar split rivets that my current brakes have. Instead, they came with tubular rivets. Is there a method of using these without some special tool? I hope the photo shows up ok. I don't want to unseal the package just yet. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 04:47 pm:

There may be a way, but based on my experience, this tool does a great job. You can get it from the T vendors, or it also shows up on T-bay.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/2566RVTL.aspx

p.s. If you decide not to use the tubular rivets and go with the split rivets, I would be interested in your pack of tubular rivets, please PM me if interested, thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 05:18 pm:

Thanks Mark. It doesn't matter now. I noticed the linings are too short. They are only 8 inches long each. I need roughly 11.5 inch linings. I don't know what these linings are for. Time to do some more research and send them back. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 02:23 am:

There is hardly no way to get split rivets as tight as they need to be to hold the linings in place. Tubular rivets are the way to go. I used the tool Mark referred to on the tubular rivets on my emergency brake linings as well as my Guinn transmission band linings and would not ever go back to split rivets. The rivet heads on both applications need to be countersunk so that the surface of the head is 1/16" below the surface of the linings with a special flat (not angled) countersunk drill bit. You can make a bit for this by getting a cheap, flat countersunk wood screw bit and, with a dremel tool, grind the angle down on both sides so that it is flat. This will cause the bottom of the hole to be flat instead of angled. If you use an angled countersunk bit, you will remove much more of the lining than necessary. As you can see, they come in a variety of sizes. Try to get one as close to the diameter of your rivet head as possible. Jim Patrick

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration