So it wasn't fuel carb issue it's coils, help!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: So it wasn't fuel carb issue it's coils, help!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kevin hawes fort morgan co on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 10:38 pm:

the original issue was that in high gear the car would cough and sputter and never gain speed. in the last thread sugested timer coils spark plugs etc. spark plugs are new wires are new so here is what I have discovered. I cleaned and lubed the timer which looked very good. then was checking the coils. a buddy was cranking slowly so I could check them from the cab. from drivers side (american) first coil buzzes, second one never does, third yes fourth yes. I have switched #1 and #2 coils places, but still the same scenario, # 2 does not buzz. that would tell me the coils are good but something wrong with slot 2. what to look for now? at least I feel like I made some kind of discovery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 10:51 pm:

Connect a wire to the terminal on #2 that comes from the timer and ground it with the key on battery. If it buzzes it is the timer if it doesn't, it is the coil box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kevin hawes fort morgan co on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 11:17 pm:

did it and coil buzzes also tested from the timer terminal as well to test the wiring harness. must be the timer. thank you so much. will get a new one and start again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 02:45 am:

That darned timer is the reason some folks throw up their hands and switch over to a distributor. _Roller-type timers especially, are imprecise, cantankerous devices which, if comments on the forum are any indication, tend to be individualistic such that remedies to specific problems that will work with some timers won't work on others, even in cases of apparent identicality.

The fact that there were so many different aftermarket timers produced as replacements to original Ford equipment just goes to show that there was seen to be plenty of room for improvement.

When my original, Ford-type roller timer finally went south, I was lucky to find available one of the last remaining examples that had been re-machined by an old master who, when he passed away, left behind no one else who could do the job as well. _Even so, my engine never ran as well as it did with the previous timer. _Oh, well.

Behind my timer, I've got a modern, neoprene seal in addition to an old-fashioned felt seal & stamped metal shield, but my engine still slowly oozes that electrically-conductive black slime past both seals and into the timer, which, as a result, needs to be opened, cleaned, lubed and reassembled with irksome frequency. _I've been given to understand that the new, TW, carbon brush-type timer is a vast improvement over previous designs because it's a more precise instrument. _Nevertheless, its installation instructions stress, "DO NOT LUBRICATE IN ANY WAY," and, "A modern type camshaft oil seal is recommended in the front cover." _That causes me to suspect that because my particular engine oozes oil past two types of seals, it may be that I'd be better off to just stick with my imperfect, but serviceable, roller-timer.

Asking which timer is best is sort of like asking which motor oil to use. _The issue is controversial and another indication of how capricious and temperamental is the blankety-blank timer. _I've learned that when my engine starts to run rough, that's the first thing to investigate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 09:32 am:

Kevin

Invest in a new day timer (old stock) if you can find one, or a TW timer( http://www.twcomponents.com/ ). You won't regret the expense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 10:22 am:

To Bob Coiro -

Install an Anderson timer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 11:39 am:

I have had experience with both old stock New Day and Anderson, and endorse both as good replacements.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 05:53 pm:

Bob, I was running Anderson timers on my T's and have switched to the TW brush style timer. I had switched to New Day brush timers but the reproduction New Day was no good and the older ones I had were pretty well shot. The TW timer looks like the original roller timers but works like the New Day. Have been running them for a few years now with no issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 05:59 pm:

Roller timers that were not made by Ford are sometimes troublesome. Any of the currently available reproduction roller timers are only good for a few miles before they turn into poo.

On the other hand original Ford roller timers are reliable, precise, and nearly indestructible if treated with a decent amount of lubrication and a cleaning every year or two. Ditto period made Bull Dog and Tiger timers. There are perhaps a dozen other brands of roller timer from the teens - 1950's that were well made and can provide good service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 06:01 pm:

Bob, I was running Anderson timers on my T's and have switched to the TW brush style timer. I had switched to New Day brush timers but the reproduction New Day was no good and the older ones I had were pretty well shot. The TW timer looks like the original roller timers but works like the New Day. Have been running them for a few years now with no issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 08:34 pm:

Maybe go thru the entire spark and timer system and repair/replace what's wrong - and rebuild yer coilbox while yer under there. You will appreciate the difference it all makes.

Regards,
Garnet

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration