New Scams

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: New Scams
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 07:27 am:

One was alledgedly from DHL, wanting me to click on the atch and confirm info "prior to shipping from the outlet". The other was a new twist on an old scam. Mr Fred Williams from a bank in Africa, said that someone had presented to him a Pwr of Atty to draw funds on my account and he had tried to get 10.5 million. They thought he was a criminal and wanted to arrest him once they got word from me that I did not give him authorization. They wanted me to give them all of my info to prove I was me, then they would arrest and prosecute him!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 10:46 am:

Received this from our ISP today
We are starting to see a lot of clients receive emails with the subject “Resume” (or similar variation) which includes a PDF in a zip file. This is a crypto email, please do not open it unless you know who it is from and are expecting it. We are working to ensure these emails are not passed through the spam filter any further.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 10:57 am:

Yesterday I got an email saying I had a million dollars coming to me!! So now I'm lurking through T-bay and Hemmings to buy as many Model T's as I can!!

Three days ago my aging mother-in-law got what was clearly, albeit a very good quality, female voice recording on her answering machine "from the IRS" saying this was their last of many attempts (never got a call before)and that they were going to sue her!! She almost believed it...took me at least 5 minutes over and over to convince her it was a fake scam. The elderly are really prone to this crap and it's a real problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg pacana on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 08:05 pm:

Publishers clearinghouse called me and said I won 1.5 million dollars and I needed to act fast. The guy could barely talk english( African or South African accent)
I only needed to western union them 225 dollars to get my check overnighted to me. 250 thought that was high!!!
I told them send me check, ill cash and send him personally 5,000
If he really sent one I would have burned him for the 250. Lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 09:32 pm:

Greg,

My wife and I have her 89 year old father living with us.

He does not have a cell phone but rather uses our land-line as his means of telecommunication.

We were getting 7-10 calls each day from people claiming to be reps from Mega Millions, Publisher's Clearing House, etc. They all had accents and started off with the greeting "Hello, a most good day to you Mr. Roger".

I have caller I.D. and I noticed quite a few calls coming in from a J. M. Kingston at an area code I'd never seen before. Well, foolish me, I thought that was the person's name. It wasn't. It was the location of where they were coming FROM! It was Kingston, Jamaica!

It was hell dealing with those people until I figured out that the cordless phone/answering machine that I bought last July has call block.

I'm really going to miss messing with those bastards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 07:59 am:

I got one of the "IRS" calls a couple of weeks ago. I listened patiently as he explained the dire circumstances and then asked him a question...

"Do you know the penalty for impersonating a Federal officer?"He hung up.

I'm a lot more direct with the idiots that call from "Miclosoft", bordering on threats that ordinarily would be illegal. I'm just tired of these infantile fools that think all Americans are fools.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 09:42 am:

Scams are a dime a dozen and easily avoided. What you really need to watch for is catching the "crypto virus" or one of its variants.

If you get it, it will encrypt all your files using an encryption system not even the CIA can break. Then they want $200 to $1000 to give you the key that will let you access your files (or more likely - you send the money and they DON'T send the key)

If you have ANYTHING of value on your machine BACKUP your files now!

MAC people, don't feel too smug, there's a variant out for apple devices.

I'm a software consultant, I can get the virus off, but no way to recover the files. A lot of heartbroken people out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 12:32 pm:

Haven't seen that one on linux yet, but if I ever do I will destroy that thumb drive and grab another wa-la no more virus and I have all my files back instantly. I love not depending on hard drives!:-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration