Performance muffler for Ts ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Performance muffler for Ts ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 09:06 am:

Is there anything like a Model A Aries muffler for Model Ts? See:

http://www.amuffler.com/content/backpressure.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady L Puryear on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 10:19 am:

For what it's worth - I replaced my stock muffler with an off the shelf "Performance" (gutted) muffler, I could take my "Test Hill" in high with it where it had required low gear before. Noise level was about the same. I for one would not spend a lot of money on some of this stuff, this muffler was cheaper than a stock replacement, and has worked well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 10:26 am:

Same here.

Got a cheap shorty glasspak with 1 1/2" inlet/outlet, and added a tail pipe extension.

Pretty noisy as the exhaust hits right on the pavement and bounces the sound.

But fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 11:42 am:

If you have one of the "take apart" T mufflers, as opposed to a late welded steel one, what would be wrong with removing (for testing purposes or daily driving) the two inner tubes and just using the ends and the outer shell, particularly if your tubes and shell are stainless steel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Myers_____Pittsburgh, PA on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 04:19 pm:

About $35 at the local auto parts store. Really brings out that distinctive flat-head sound.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 04:31 pm:

I just put a Thrush muffler with 2" in and out. I used an adapter to go from 1 1/2" to 2". It gave me 4 MPH increase on my test hill and throttle response that I did not have before. Nice mellow tone, not to loud at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Mullins Spokane Wa. on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 06:24 pm:

I find this interesting,last year I ran that very same glass pack muffler in the Montana 500,came home & change to a stock T muffler & found it to to be just as responsive or even better up hills.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 06:38 pm:

I've used a muffler from my local Tractor Supply. (I think it was for an Allis Chalmers model B?) They are a straight thru glass pack and pretty small. I thought it sounded pretty good, but I went back to a stock cast end muffler for the real Model T sound. I guess that makes me one of those ultra purist types where I even have to have the original noise :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 06:41 pm:

I use Ford 2N and 9N mufflers from tractor stores. The part number is FO-11. They cost about $25. It's a straight-thru glasspack type, and the inlet and outlet are 1-1/2", same as a T. And it bolts up easily to the stock hole in the frame. They're not loud, and I figure the reduced back pressure must be a plus. I've used lots of them and have one on my driver now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 06:42 pm:

p.s. -- And it's a stock Ford part! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By M G Hillhouse on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 09:31 pm:

Someone not long ago said that they were making copies of a performance muffler. There is a picture of one in speed and sport. I don't have my copy with me but maybe someone with better search skills can find the post. Mgh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 11:13 pm:

Has anyone compared the performance using a gutted stock muffler vice one of the straight thru glass packs that are being recommended here?

On my 13 touring, I removed the insides of the stock muffler and it is not loud. I also have a cut out in front of the muffler that is loud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson Absaroka County on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 11:52 pm:

Here is a link for the FO-11 Mike mentioned
http://www.ruralking.com/ford-new-holland-tractor-muffler-8.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 03:12 am:

I was surprised to learn when checking out the muffler on my 16' touring that it has no internal shells. Just straight through. It is not noisy in comparison to other T's I travel with. I have no intention of putting inner shells in it. It is fine just how it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 03:39 am:

Here is one of Jay's accessory posts on a period cast iron Apco muffler: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/177273.html?1293220959

Another type of current reproduced muffler was mentioned, it has a cut out into the muffler so you can choose the level of noise:

unmuffled

The ebay seller who sold them in 2010 doesn't seem to have any for sale right now? http://www.ebay.com/usr/bill7472

(Message edited by Roger K on June 12, 2015)

(Message edited by Roger K on June 12, 2015)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration