Progress

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Progress
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 09:11 am:

My Duncan and Fraser roadster had a two piece windscreen when I bought it. I already had a pair of nickel plated staunchions so I worked on making a pair of frames from all the pieces I had in store. They came out really well.

Then my son found another restored roadster with a one piece winddcreen!

Back to the drawing board. I modified a second set of pillars to match the correct ones. Then I had to make a new one piece frame from lesser pieces, and hope it would still be able to be plated.

My original pillars had been broken and repaired twice, before the wrong screen was grafted on. The restored car had repaired pillars also. As mine were rusted out, I had to fabricate new mountings for the pillars. Mine are beefed up but still original in appearance.windscreen
Here is the finished productpillars

The fabricated bracket to fix the screen directly to the cowl.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 09:54 am:

Wow! Nice work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 01:13 pm:

Beautiful! Nice work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 03:22 pm:

Very, very impressive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 04:33 am:

How did you form them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 06:21 am:

They came out looking beautiful! Way to go.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 07:06 am:

Kep, they are fabricated from 5 separate pieces. The base plate has the three mounting holes. This was hand beaten to follow the cowl panel. The pillar mounting is a solid square piece bent to profile, cut to follow the base plate curve and then welded in place. Then I formed the front and back pieces and the outer edge piece. these were deliberately made a little short of the corners of the pillar mount so the weld had room to fill the void, welding the pieces together and to the pillar mount at the same time. Three beads of weld filled the joint between the mounting plate and the front and back pieces.

All welds were ground back, refilled where necessary, and polished for plating. They are heavier than the original construction which broke in service too easily. I have way too much time in them, but really had no alternative. The liklihood of finding useable original replacements is zero to nothing!

Thanks for the encouragement men. next thing is to split the body from the chassis.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 09:23 pm:

Nice.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration