What we have here is???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What we have here is???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 09:43 am:

I have not been able to identify this part in any of the parts books. What have I got here?
Thanks for any feedback.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 10:07 am:

Looks like the front top iron in my 15 touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 10:44 am:

Dale,
Thanks for the reply. Possible to get photos of how this is installed on the car? Just bought a '24 Touring basket case and don't have a clue where or how they fit on the car.
Thanks,
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 11:09 am:

Looks like a right front. I don't believe it's from a '15 though, as Ford wasn't identifying parts that way then. The hole at the bottom is the clue. Usually it will line up with a striker plate hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 11:35 am:

Those were used in 23-25 roadsters and tourings also.That one should be for right front on your 24 touring body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 11:42 am:

Yep, top iron, here is a picture of where it fits:

iron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 12:23 pm:

Excellent information - thanks to you all. Let the project begin!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Jull in Oakland on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 03:40 pm:

Mike - I am working on the same car except mine is from a bunch of rusty parts that my dad has. We are talking a ground up complete rebuild including all wood (plans from Leon Parker).

Mark's photo is a roadster but they are similar. Your 24 Touring has a one man top which means these brackets go behind the rear door. The end of the bracket with the single hole bolts through the metal pillar and through the door hinge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 04:31 pm:

'23-'25 only.

Here is what it looks like on 1914 and cars with wood seat risers.

On cars with metal seat risers, the brackets does not fold at the bottom. It just comes straight down and is bolted to the upright lip of the metal riser.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Jull in Oakland on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 12:21 am:

Here is a photo of a Touring I just ran across from another topic thread that shows the bracket (thanks to William L Vanderburg)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 09:47 am:

Thomas & Keith,
Enormous thanks for the photos and explanation. I too am working from a literal pile of parts. The challenge is the previous owner disassembled the ENTIRE car including EVERY body panel, nut & bolt. What makes it most interesting is that this all happened 20 years ago!! The former owner who is a dear friend says he personally took it all apart and the car was complete when he started the project. He has since succumbed to the ravages of old age and is unable to pick up where he left off.

On that note, I do have another question...do all the metal body panels join together with bolts or rivets?

I do appreciate all the feedback from everyone! I'm sure I'll need more!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Jull in Oakland on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 03:27 pm:

No rivets are used that I know of.

Rear seat panel to rear quarter panels are bolts. I believe these were originally thick head bolts but they will all be completely concealed by the seat upholstery.

Side panels to rear quarter panels are round head wood screws (4 each location) into the rear door corner block.

Side panels to cowl and firewall are carriage bolts.

Not sure if the attachment of the front seat rear panel to the wood pillars were originally wood screws or nails. Mine will be screws.

That is it for the body except for all the nails to the wood frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Jull in Oakland on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 03:50 pm:

Sorry I forgot about the original rivet on each side at the connection of the side of the cowl to the side panel that will be concealed by the windshield post. I think most people install a bolt here but it can be seen behind the dash panel so one could lose points in the show for not being original. It is good that I am not making a show car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 09:43 am:

Thomas, thanks for the additional info. I'm sure to have more questions since I'm pretty new to the Model T world.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration