Steering column interchange

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Steering column interchange
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 12:23 pm:

Does anyone know for sure what if any earlier steering columns will interchange with a 1927T? I have a chance to purchase a supposedly good 1923 or '24 column. If it won't fit my '27 I'll pass on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 12:34 pm:

26/27 columns has a square mount to the firewall. They're mounted a little lower too, (not the fordors) The steering ratio was also changed to 5:1 in 1925 when 21" balloon tires became available, so there's not much to use for you in an earlier column.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 12:36 pm:

Early column has a round flange, later square also the ratio is 5-1 on your 27, 4-1 0n the earlier models. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 02:35 pm:

John,

I put a 26/27 steering column in my 21 center door just to get the 5:1 ratio. I works fine.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester Leighton on Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 07:26 pm:

The steering bracket is different on the 26-27 steering column to accommodate the lower angle. If you put the earlier column with the 26-26 bracket, it may work but the 4:1 steering may not be very comfortable with 21" wheels. If you are trying to fit an earlier column with the earlier bracket, the angle will be wrong and the bracket won't line up with the holes in the frame, I learned that the hard way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 01:59 pm:

A round flanged steering column with a 'new and improved' frame bracket works just fine on my '26 tudor. The 4 carriage bolt holes on the firewall line up just fine with the steering column. I have restored the correct steering column but am too lazy and it's too Danged hot to make the switch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 03:12 pm:

I own a '26 Touring, a '26 Fordor, and now a '25 Coupe.

The round flange Coupe column will fit in all three bodies. The 26 Fordor column bolts to the frame with a different bracket than the Touring as others have noted. The round flange and the square flange columns mount to the dash panel at the same angle for all three cars.

The '25 and '26 Fordor have the same dash to column angle. The '26 Touring and the '26 Fordor column is identical regardless of the installation angle. There is no unique column for a '26 Fordor even though it installs at the same angle as a Coupe and other earlier Ts.

The columns will interchange.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 03:34 pm:

I always thought the bottom bracket - the column to frame bracket - was the same ONLY on the New and Improved Fordor and bare chassis. Then The roadster, touring, coupe and tudor of '26 and '27 had their own unique frame bracket.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration