OT Cars with stupidly large engines

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT Cars with stupidly large engines
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 03:13 pm:

There has been some discussion in the Forum about engine modifications, over powered Model T chassis, and generally just comments about how wrong some rebuilds are. If you are not aware of this string please take a moment and see what others have done to early frames and engine combinations.

https://forums.finalgear.com/general-automotive/cars-with-stupidly-large-engines -plane-tank-boat-47722/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Barchock Canton, Mi on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 08:35 pm:

as long as the chassis is engineered properly there is no issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 09:31 pm:

Some of the cars in that link ARE stupid, but others are historically important vehicles. Land Speed record holders etc.
I wonder how you'd set a new world record back then (& even now) without a ridiculously (not stupidly) large engine.

Bluebird (1964 WLSR holder at 403mph) and I

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 10:31 pm:

Rob,
Was that racer driven by the same man who drove the Blue Bird boat? I believe he held speed records on both water and land. Recently his remains were recovered from the site of his last run decades ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 11:20 pm:

Yes, Erik. That was Donald Campbell. He followed in his fathers (Sir Malcolm Campbell) footsteps. Between them they set many world land and water speed records. All of their cars and boats were called Bluebird (I think). This particular car above was doing its thing when I was a kid in High School and it impressed me greatly to think that Campbell was attempting to set the record, which he eventually did, on Lake Eye, here in Australia. Its pretty unique in that although it has twin jet turbines, its wheel driven.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 12:10 am:

Rob, make that Lake Eyre in South Australia. It took a lot of preparation for that run, after many delays due to the track being too wet! I believe the irregularities in the salt were ironed out by dragging a length of railway iron over the track surface.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 12:39 am:

Sorry Allan, SOUTH Australia.
However, this pic of an earlier Bluebird was taken at Daytona Beach

I have a mate living about 30 mins away who visits the dry lakes of SOUTH Aust. annually, with this.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 07:58 am:

No need to apologise Rob. I thought the US forum participants might believe there is a Lake EYE.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 03:34 pm:

Whooops.....I didn't know I'd misspelled it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 05:22 pm:

RE: Recently his remains
His or the car? I thought it was the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 05:53 pm:

Parts of the boat have been brought up in the past, but not long ago remains of Campbell himself were recovered as well. I think you can find video of the crash and also news footage of the recovery on YouTube and the like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 06:00 pm:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Campbell

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 09:01 pm:

Thank you, boat. Guess seeing the photos of the cars and I relate the name Campbell to cars not boats.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration