Front Bendix bolt broken off, how to remove Bendix ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Front Bendix bolt broken off, how to remove Bendix ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 03:22 pm:

The front Bendix Bolt is broken off 1/8" below the surface that left a rough hole in the front disk of the Bendix and the Bendix spring is removed. I tried to center-punch the bolt in the hole and drill it out with small drills enlarging the drills a step at a time but I don't have the power to center-punch the broken off bolt and even when I try a little off-center the drill just dances around because I don't have the strength to force the drill into the bolt. I locked the Bendix disk in position with vice grips so that it would not rotate.

I am thinking that I can remove the four mounting bolts and slide the starter forward and take the starter to my powerful floor drill press, lock the Bendix part with the broken bolt into the drill press vise, center-punch the bolt and drill it out.

Any other suggestions ? thanks, Frank

bolt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 03:33 pm:

If it were me, I would remove the starter (disconnect the negative battery cable first if you haven't already done so), it will make things much easier to work on. Do you have any left hand drill bits? sometimes drilling with a LH drill bit will remove the broken bolt without having to use an extractor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 03:42 pm:

Mark, I do have a set of the square type of extractors the have sharp knife-like edges that are pounded into the drilled hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 03:53 pm:

Before you try center punching it again, make sure the starter shaft is well supported so that you don't bend it, and if you have a small grinding stone that can fit in the hole (maybe one of the small Dremel tool stones?), grind the end of the broken bolt flat to make it easier to center punch and reduce the tendency for the drill bit to wander.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 03:58 pm:

Yes as I stated above I will mount the shaft in the large drill-press vise. I do have a set of small grinding metals in stone and tool steel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 04:13 pm:

Does your car have a magneto? If not, try to remove the whole starter with the bendix in place. If you still have a working magneto, try to drill out the bolt and use an extractor. Only the outer sleeve is threaded, so even if you ruin the threads, you can still save the starter shaft.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 04:54 pm:

You can't remove the starter with the bendix still attached, It hits the Mag ring and flywheel. The only way to remove the starter with bendix still attached is to remove the hogshead with the starter still attached, then you can pull the starter off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 05:02 pm:

My bad, I forgot about having to remove the Bendix before attempting to remove the starter, my apologies. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 05:07 pm:

Norman it is a highly modified flat head T engine with special cam, pistons, and 8.6 compression ratio that puts 48.6 horsepower to the rear wheels. Thanks for the part about the shaft not being threaded, I looked at a spare shaft and found that all the front hole does is to hold the spring in position.

Why can't I simply pull the Bendix collars off to the rear with a puller ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 05:18 pm:

"Why can't I simply pull the Bendix collars off to the rear with a puller ? "

Because the end of the bolt is in the shaft and it will prevent the collar from moving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 05:45 pm:

Frank, that bolt doesn't do anything except hold the spring. Remove the back bolt and slide off the bendix. Then deal with the broken bolt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 06:11 pm:

Thank you Kenny ;~)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 06:38 pm:

Holy cow! Kenny is right!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 07:19 pm:

(Message edited by cudaman on June 12, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 01:01 am:

You guys had me worried. I thought I'd lost it!! Thanks for the reassurance Kenny.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 07:42 am:

You're fine Allan :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration