New spokes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: New spokes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Grabowski on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 08:01 pm:

I finished rebuilding 2 more wheels for my 24 fordor. I'm very new to this and would like to know if this bolt is peened correctly. Should I also use the red "Loc-Tite" on these bolts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 08:13 pm:

I would say "You nailed it"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Grabowski on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 08:21 pm:

Thanks! Now to finish the rest of them. What a great place for information!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 08:55 pm:

John, I noticed you live in Michigan where the humidity gets high in the summer and very low in the winter. You will want to tighten all of those bolts next Jan or Feb as the wood will shrink leaving them slightly loose. Re-peen then as well.

Next summer, they (spokes) will be very tight followed by being loose again in Feb. retighten then as well. Once all the "slack" is taken up due to crushed wood fiber from swelling you will be good to go.

This is common on old airplanes with wood propellers for the same reason.

BTW, nice job on the preening!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 12:56 am:

Excellent advice Gary.

Allan from down under.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration