Fancy 1911

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Fancy 1911
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 10:11 pm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-T-n-a-/181773261832?forcerrptr=true&hash=item 2a5287dc08&item=181773261832

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 10:22 pm:

"Engine cast date November 1911"

So it's an '11 that's really a '12. :-)

Pretty car though, no matter what year it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Mokelumne Hill, Calif. on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 10:22 pm:

People are nuts. Some guy bid $200. That's what it was worth 100 years ago. I guess these things hold their value pretty well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 10:28 pm:

You know this one is a good runner. Look at the tow strap attached to the front!!!!
I love it when someone is trying to sell a car and can't take the extra 30 seconds it requires to remove something unsightly-like a tow strap!!!
A while back I went to look at a car that was for sale. After looking at it, I asked the seller how does it run? He replied it starts and runs great. When I asked him to start it, he said he would if he had a set of jumper cables!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 10:29 pm:

I do love the look of the wooden, stepped body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 10:33 pm:

$200.00 was the opening bid.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 10:35 pm:

What is a clamshell differential, and what is the significance of it, since he pointed it out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, June 12, 2015 - 10:46 pm:

maybe there there is a connection from the strap to no hand crank??????????????? charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 12:56 am:

Well, it is a pretty car, but...

Wrong...
Wrong...
Wrong...

But it is a pretty car...

Not many pictures of the engine.
Must have a starter motor.

sigh...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 01:20 am:

Very pretty. I surely would not turn it away. But if I was anywhere near in the market? I would want a better look at that engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 01:44 am:

I don't think It's even a 11 or 12 or?? block, it has the later freeze plug visible in the centre one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 01:49 am:

Agree with Frank. They carefully took the pictures of the engine to hide.......something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 02:21 am:

12-08-13 T400C Removed 1/2 pipe taps from water jacket.

The seller has bought a few items but this is the first item they have had for sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 07:02 am:

Frank, not only what you say, but the serial number boss above the water inlet definitely means it's NOT an '11 block, nor even an early '12. They started putting these numbers on that boss around mid-'12.

Sure is a pretty car though. Wonder what the reserve is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 07:06 am:

John...the clamshell differential has to do with the shape of it, looks a bit like a "clam", as opposed to the later style "pumpkin" differential housing that surfaced in late '12/early '13

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 08:07 am:

What a treat it is to see all these cars that are available. The variations and peoples choices in restorations are fun to see. It is always nice to compare them to how we would do it or what is correct. Thanks to all who link us to these.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 08:33 am:

Definitely a later engine, The width of the engine number casting block gives it away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 09:46 am:

Engine no earlier than 10-31-14 from what can be seen, 10-31-XX and has already been said (pipe plug). Also, the block has the small threaded boss where the fan bolt connects to the block, which seems to confirm the 1915 model, or later, block.

I would love to have it though but I can see the need for the push rope, it's a pretty crankless car.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 09:12 pm:

I sent this question to the seller;

Why is the starting crank missing? The block from what little the photos show was made after 1914 or 15 and before 1919. It may be stamped with a 1911 number but what does the number just to the rear read?
Thank you

If I get a reply, good or bad I'll post it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 12:12 am:

The boss for the serial number was never in that location, and it's way too long for even a '15!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 04:21 am:

Even with all the issues that have been mentioned above, would the Red paint color have been correct for this year? From what I've read should be dark Blue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 05:47 am:

Well, again, I am not the best choice for answers here.
As I understand it, Red, in the first place was only used on some body styles (mostly touring cars) in 1909 and maybe some in 1910. With the possible exception of very few special orders or repaints (and the 1912 pie wagon), no other model Ts were painted red by Ford factory. In the second point, I believe that red appears too dark (digital and internet photography is notoriously unreliable at showing proper colors). At least on my computer, that car looks to be nearly maroon. I believe some NRS models used a similar color, but not model Ts until 1926 model year.
Most 1910 and 1911 model year touring cars were dark green.'10/'11 roadsters runabouts and torpedoes may have been other colors (often dark blue). !912 and 1913 model cars were nearly all dark blue on all body styles.
This late '11 is really a '12 model mostly, and should be dark blue. But it is a very nice looking car in a good vintage color (albeit the wrong one), overall I like it a lot and don't want to knock it too much. Any potential buyer should inspect the car closely to be sure the workmanship is quality enough. It should be looked at closely to determine just how correct it is also as that plays a significant role in the realistic value. I know the engine is "questionable" (the first thing I spotted was the size of the serial number pad, the earliest I have seen that size is December 1915). I am fairly certain that the steering column is also not nearly early enough.

Still, a beautiful car! I wish I could trade all three of my Ts for it.
I wish the seller good luck.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, June 22, 2015 - 10:24 pm:

The auction ended at $25,000 reserve not met. They never did reply to my question. I wonder if they were just checking it's value?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration