Ford script screwdriver

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Ford script screwdriver
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roy A. Romagno on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 07:36 pm:

I came across a Ford script screwdriver in my collection. It has a T 873 id number. If I didn't know any better at first glance it looks like a "lethal weapon"! It is all steel and from the side looks like a knife with a bent handle. I have attached a photo. Can anyone give me any info on this tool. There is a hole right below the handle so there may be something missing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 08:09 pm:

I don't see your photo, please try again, keeping in mind the file size needs to be under 250K.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 08:20 pm:

Are you sure it says T 873? I looked through the MTFCA Encyclopedia CD-ROM and here's what comes up for T-873:

T-873 1909 1909 Hand brake lever. Lever only, no attachments

T-873B 02-23-11A Hand brake lever. To be painted black instead of brass plated.

T-873B 1920F 1908-20 1909-27 Hand brake lever. Lever forging only, D.F. type "E" steel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 09:38 pm:

I have a number of genuine Ford screwdrivers, and not one has Ford on it or a part number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 09:45 pm:

I believe the Ford script appeared on the wood part of handle,sometime in the 30's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 09:55 pm:

If the screwdriver is 'all steel' could be a dealer novelty or a Fordson screwdriver.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 10:42 pm:

Sounds like a hand brake lever that was cut off and made into a pry bar. The "hole right below the handle" is probably the pivot point for the pawl release handle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 10:47 pm:

Maybe someone made a screwdriver out of a brake handle???? If so, I would like to see that. Whatever it is, I would be interested to see it.

Roy R, People want to know!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roy A. Romagno on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 12:45 am:

I'm sure some enterprising soul made this out of a brake handle. The top has been peened over so I'm thinking it was used as a chisel. It is truly a conversation piece. I'll try to upload a photo again.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration