What year is this steering column, and a what-is-it

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What year is this steering column, and a what-is-it
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 09:21 am:

Found a couple more things at the T model parts estate that Im unsure of. First is a steering column. I think it is a 1914 but want to be sure. Also what is the approximate value of a good restorable column for the year it turns out to be from. Everything looks good and should clean up nice. Then there is the what-is-it. They are a X shaped piece of 1ron a 1/4 inch thick. They measure 13-1/2 inches long across the diagonial of the X. The open ends of the X are two different measurements the small end is 8 inches wide and the large end is 10-1/4 inches wide. The only idea I have is a reinforcement for inside a door, but that is probably not what it is. Any help is always appreciated ... Donnie Brown .....

steering 3

steering 4

steering 5

steering 6

steering 7

steering 8

steering 9

x2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 10:13 am:

Looks like a '14.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 05:19 pm:

I think '14. The firewall flange looks like the later styles whereas the earlier ones were quite different with a sheet metal part folded over from back to front of the flange.
The spark and throttle quadrant are in much better condition than most original ones. Very difficult to find available ones that nice.
As to value. I hate giving "values". Several years ago, when my brass T project pile was planned to become a '15, I saw '13/'14 columns sell for around $100. When my pile suddenly became a '13, and I wanted to get one, I never found a decent one for under almost $250. (I did eventually get a couple not so decent)
You can also check by searching through the mtfca classifieds section. I know several have sold in the past year. Bear in mind, that the price goes up fast with each year earlier they are. A '15 is worth about twice a '16. A '14 probably three times a '15 (bigger changes). A '13 is probably half again more than a '14 (lesser changes). Continuing on up to about $900 or more for a true '09.
Me? I usually manage to scrounge a bargain when I buy (not always). I usually sell for a bargain when I sell (for the good of the hobby).
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 08:05 pm:

Larry, and Wayne, Thanks for the input. I foud the top cover for it today and also found it is stamped Dodge Ill show a couple more pics. I am selling this stuff for an estate. That is why I ask sometimes about the value. I am not real familiar with the early stuff, and do not want to sell a 900.00 part for 75.00 just because I did not do a little research. Since I am selling for someone else I feel obligated to do the best I can. But we are not after the last dollar of a parts value. Just something fair for both parties. Thanks again Donnie Brown ...

x1

x2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Milford, Ohio on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 10:09 pm:

Hey Donnie, I PMed you on the column. Been looking for a 14 one.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration