Help IDN whatz it?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Help IDN whatz it?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 09:24 am:

Elvavated timer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 10:37 am:

Appears to be the K-W brand 'distributor', uses the multi-coil principal, unlike the common single coil distributors. K-W made these in two styles, one for battery and one for magneto only powered Fords.

This one uses all four of the Ford vibrator coils, but shunts the vibrators, so you have four single fired coils, one for each plug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 10:41 am:

Hi Jerome,

Well, my first impression was that it is an elevated timer but the more I studied the photographs the more I was drawn to the large size of the cover at the top. It is suggestive that there may be more inside than just a simple roller type of switch as a timer could have.

That unit is intriguing. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 11:03 am:

I am wondering about the timing gear cover and generator. The shape of the oil filler spout is different and the odd part mounted on the generator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 11:08 am:

Along with the crank shaft pulley, narrow nose pan, 1 piece valve cover block and early style fan. Neat bunch of parts put together to keep the rig on the road. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 01:35 pm:

I don't think the timing cover is non Ford but when I pull the gen and dist I'll know. The gen is the type that has a gov built in. The crank pulley is for a v belt and I can't remember if 3 or 4 dip. Tomorrow when I get home I'll work some on it. The engine is free but only turns owner a bit till it stops. The dist or gen I think is keeping it from turning all the way over. Report later what I find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 05:18 pm:

I have a pair of KW Timers. Interestingly they have a set of points inside that breaks the coil circuit along with the roller. I don't understand why they chose to add the points, except that they would use less battery power when operating on 6 volts.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration