Painting leaf springs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Painting leaf springs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 11:49 am:

just checking, when restoring the car and re-painting it, do the leaf springs get separated and sprayed both sides. I suppose they would but only the top and ends show??
Thank you in advance. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 12:00 pm:

Bob

Bet to do what Ford did, apply a graphite based material first. The leafs need to slide on each other.

Slip Plate or EZ Glide.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/341422.html?1362622265

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 12:07 pm:

Robert - Reading forum threads on this, I refinished my leaf springs in these steps:

1. Disassemble the stack
2. Clean all leaves, all surfaces (I used angle grinder with a rust/paint removal wheel).
3. Paint all surfaces with two coats of "EZ-SLIDE" graphite based paint.
4. Assemble stack.
5. Paint assembled stack with your choice of top-coat paint.

So far, it's worked out well for me.

Here's the paint I used

Front spring leaves, painted before assembly.

Rear spring leaves, painted before assembly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 12:17 pm:

I paint the entire leaf. The paint will wear off where it rubs. I just use chassis grease in between. That also works out where they rub. Some folks use teflon tape but it adds thickness as sometimes shifts.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 12:26 pm:

I clean the leafs then only coat the underside of any rubbing leaf with paint/graphite mix. I then paint the assembled spring. I make my own EZ-Slide out of flake graphite and enamel paint, heavy on the graphite.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 01:18 pm:

Robert

Dave states he painted all surfaces with EZ-glide and then painted the stack. I painted just the top and bottom of each leaf with the EZ-glide. Then I assembled the stack. And lastly I painted the entire stack.

Wherever there was EZ-glide on the leaves, the paint would not stick. Perhaps Dave used a different type of paint.

The spring is reinstalled in the car and time will tell as to whether there is protection from the EZ-slide where I could not get the paint to stick.

Good Luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 03:02 pm:

After I coat the mating sides, top and bottom with the EZ Slide, I assemble everything. Be sure to only eye ball two leafs at a time, because sometimes each side is not the same, and you don't want daylight showing through the leafs after assembly. I then clean everything at least twice with a clean rag and solvent to make sure there is no grease on the exposed spring, and then I paint. I've done dozens of them that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 04:19 pm:

Dave - I used good old Rustoleum gloss black on top of the EZ-Slide graphite paint. I had no problems with adhesion of the gloss black straight out of the can (brushed, not sprayed).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 04:40 pm:

I used UHMW tape. This is a dense teflon type material. I put it on the underside of each leaf in 2008. It is still working well and has not extruded from between the leaves.

I got it at McMaster-Carr :

http://www.mcmaster.com/#uhmw-polyethylene-tape/=xmh9qv

Be_Zero_Be in Leesburg, VA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 04:55 pm:

Here's another thread on UHMW tape:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/404249.html?1385695919

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 05:48 pm:

Teflon tape applied while the paint is still a bit tacky.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 07:03 pm:

Apparently there are several ways to skin this cat. I disassemble the spring, then have it sandblasted and powder-coated. Then I spray the undersides of all but the bottom leaf using the graphite spray and assemble them. This way, I don't have any rust bleeding out from the leaves when I drive in the rain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 08:11 pm:

I forgot to mention that I painted the leaves with POR-15 before I taped them.

Be_Zero_Be in Leesburg, VA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 08:28 pm:

One thing you may want to check on each leaf is to see if there is an indention where the next spring on top has worn a spot that will actually impede the springs from moving past the indention from decades of use during driving. This can be remedied by grinding the underside end to a slight bevel, not as drastic as the taper leaf springs, so the straight edge doesn't get caught in the indention. Just a suggestion that has worked for me. This does not forego the need to clean, paint or graphite / grease the springs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 06:39 am:

I paint with Rustoleum and lube with bees wax..............

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 01:35 pm:

Robert, that is interesting. What is the advantage of bees wax over mineral based grease?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 02:02 pm:

Where do you get EZ-Slide paint?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Texas Gulf Coast on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 03:09 pm:

Tractor Supply, Amazon. Maybe local auto parts store. Mine has it. Its a Mom and Pop real auto parts place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 03:26 pm:

Eric I use it for all kinds of lubrication....I keep a fresh toilet bowl wax ring on the work bench. Works great on threads, drill bits. I lube the oil light slide rings any thing that binds on the paint. It is very friendly with paint, just wipe up with mineral spirits. A friend of mine said he kept a ring on each floor of his house when he was building as it helped all the wood screws he was using. I also use it on rims to mount tires, again it cleans up nice and feels ok to the hands. I think it will last between the leaf springs just has well as something else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 06:49 pm:

Make your own, and I will repeat it, make your own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 07:33 pm:

My 1919 Touring listed slightly to the drivers side before I refurbished the springs and upon inspection it was not because of stiff spring hangers. A local fellow advised grinding smooth any divots made by spring ends and upon assembly after graphite/grease application to assemble the springs with every other leaf turned in the opposite direction it was originally. Don't know how true his advise was but the car sits level now.....:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 07:38 pm:

Robert Stingley, As you know most Model T owners are frugal to the point of being CHEAP when it comes to spending money. You might want to inform the group that it is ok to use a new toilet bowl wax ring and not one that has been sitting under a toilet for 50 years....:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 07:42 pm:

PS- Sorry I spelled Skingley incorrect. I ought to know better since my last name gets butchered all the time. Obviously we cannot edit a post with this software.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 07:54 pm:

There is a way to edit the text of a recent post - log in to your profile, you will see a list of your most recent posts. If you see a pencil in the "view" column on the left, click on it and you will be able to edit the text of your post. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brass TT on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 01:02 am:

Mark - sadly I do not see such a list when I go into my own profile. Where is it hidden ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 06:47 am:

I do not see the list either. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 07:06 am:

You click at the face "User Profile" in the tool bar at the top or below. Only recent messages within the last 30 minutes or so(?) are possible to edit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 08:11 am:

When you get into your profile, under "Profile Editor Options", click on "Preferences". Then click on the bottom box that says "Show list of my most recent posts when editing my profile". The next time you log into your profile, the list of recent posts will show up. :-)

While you're at it, scroll through the other boxes and tailor your profile to have the features you want.

Take charge of your profile, don't just accept the defaults!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 08:43 am:

Robert S., if the toilet rings are made of beeswax here, I will definitely be trying them out for general lubrication jobs. That's a really cool idea.

And thanks for the heads up Michael P. I'll be sure to buy new ones! ;)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration