Another odd request - vintage racing decals

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Another odd request - vintage racing decals
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 10:00 pm:

I have a 31 Model A racer I'm wanting 20's-30's period automotive product vinyl or water transfer decals for it. Of size 6 inches plus. So far I have gone to Vic's 66 for an ESSO gas and an oil brand decal. Do any of you have like "ford parts", spark plug brands, coolant brands, oil or gas additives, piston manufacturing brands, a early Indy wing and wheels? AND can get them to me within 10 days? I of course will pay cash money.

OR have digital drawings of said designs I can take to a sign shop. You can email me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 10:50 pm:

Might find some here.
http://www.amazon.com/Nostalgia-Vintage-Style-Racing-Decals/dp/B0093Z23M6

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 12:01 am:

Here's a thought I am restoring a late 20's single man sprint car and wanted to add period decals.

I found several interesting "logo's from piston ring companies, and one from Winfield carbs. I photo copied the ads and took them to my local vinyl sign company and they were able to reproduce the ads in self adhesive vinyl and do them in color. I am also adding a Gilmore gas ad.

There were able to enlarge the ads so match the size of my race car.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 12:25 am:

Tyrone, the decals suggested by Gary appear to be from the 50's and 60's. Most cars of your period had hand painted advertising.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 02:53 am:

Most logos in that era were either hand painted, like by a sign painter, or silk screen painted. I have seen a number of items with logos that appeared to be decal type transfers. Most of them were rather small however.
Are you trying to replicate, restore, or depict, a specific car or at a specific point in its history? Otherwise there are so very many possible names and logos available on the internet. Many of them so obscure that probably nobody would care if you used them. Many are beautiful also. The 1920s had an artistic beauty to them. I personally like Hood Arrow tires. Edison spark plugs might also be a nice one. Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures available to send directly to you.
Most of the stuff offered commercially along this line are from a much later era, usually post WWII. A few things from the '20s and early '30s that are commercially available (like Red Lion Gasoline and Oilzum) have been put onto so many cars that they are no longer really special.
I hope to see pictures of your car when you are done with it.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By M G Hillhouse on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 03:22 pm:

If you look over old speedster and racing photos you will find very few logos. T's way predate most multiple sponsors as we have become accustomed to. There are some for a single sponsor but most none at all. Even the Indy cars of the day are very clean. Good luck with your search. Malory

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 04:39 pm:

Tyrone - You may want to checkout Jalopy Journal. Their message board over there would have some like minded guys that would point you in the right direction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 11:23 pm:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/so-cal_speed_shop/m.html?item=391173574072&hash=item5b13 c30db8&vxp=mtr&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 11:58 pm:

I used decals that were made up for the old gas pumps
Several places online also search nose art or military decals ww2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 09:46 am:

A suggestion for the graphic can be found on youtube(vintage racing) or pictures of the board track racers. It has been suggested that the early 1920 to 1930 racers were void of advertisement and sponsor decals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 03:00 pm:

I agree about the hand painted ads. But for simplicity and speed for an upcoming event, I went the fast and easy way. I am ashamed for sure. After the event, the decals will come off and replaces with paint. Thanks all. I did paint my number on. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 11:20 pm:

I have an automotive directory for the mid 20's. There are a number if interesting company logos of the era shown.

If you are interested I can copy some of those for you to reproduce. These logos are listed under parts catagories. so if you have a particular group of logo's I will see what is listed in the directory.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 01:22 am:

Thank you brass guy. would like to come up with a spark plug, coolant brand if there was a such thing, oil additives-snake oil products (stuff that does not actually work but you have to have it.) Brakes, etc. Catchy phases or logos of car part products.

I'm currently have "ESSO" for gas, Richland Lube for oil, and Kant-Skore for piston rings. In time Blockley Tyres for my tires. I got from an old Barney Oldfield photo "My only Life Insurance is Firestone Tires" I want this but with Blockley tyres of course.

Thank you for your help. Brass Guy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 09:25 am:

I'm working on it.

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 09:44 am:

They sure look great hand painted:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 11:29 am:

Hand painting is one of those dying crafts.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration