26 Tudor top installation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 26 Tudor top installation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 11:08 pm:

Hey guys , took off what was left of my rotted original top wood on the Tudor today and getting ready to put new top on that I bought , to remove the old bolts that secured the top I'm assuming that I have to remove the rear quarter window channel/guides , I'm going to clean and paint the ledge that the wood top frame will sit on but should I paint or stain the opposed edge of the wooden frame itself ? Or the whole thing ? Just putting in frame with no interior/ headliner at this time as saving up for that will take some time but I still want to drive it in the meantime :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 07:22 am:

Travis, sounds like you are on the right track. Stain or paint either should be ok. I would go ahead and put a head liner in if it was me as it needs to go in before the top bows are installed. I sewed up my own for the 24 and only cost a few bucks for the material, very easy to do or take it to an upholstery shop with the measurements for the bow spacing. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 07:31 am:

Is the headliner the only part of the interior that goes in before top or does all the interior go in first and the top last ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 10:57 pm:

Not for sure on the 26 but it might be easier to install any windlace or bead trim around the top before the head liner. Someone with more experience with the 26-7 upholstery can surely chime in here. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen McConachie on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 07:09 am:

Heres some pictures from when I did my roof last year.
thankfully I had a very helpful auto upholster that was willing to loan me his staple gun for the weekend to fit this all up

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 07:32 am:

Thanks everyone !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Monday, June 22, 2015 - 09:07 pm:

Me again !! Should there be overhang on the outside edges of the roof or should they be flush ? Also when setting top there is quite a gap (3/8) between the body and the roof in the front visor area , should I modify the top wood to fit or what else can be done ? I guess my main concern is the top to body fit in respect to the overhang on the outside of the body . Thanks .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen McConachie on Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 06:44 am:

Hi Travis

when I was fitting up the wood for my roof I found that I was getting quite an overhang compared to original. I found that if the rear piece of timber is fitted and centred on the body I could square up the cut on each back corner block which bought the sides into line.
the front header board was then centred and I clamped each side stick into place. I found I needed to cut a step in these to bring the sides in to the right spacing. This also helped close the gap that you will be seeing where the inside is radius machined

Cheers
Glen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 07:29 am:

How much overhang should there be ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 10:11 am:

Travis:
The original wood on my 26 coupe roof extends to the outside edge of the body on the sides and rear.
Respectfully, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 12:00 pm:

Am I missing a piece of wood ?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration