Does anyone know what this is ??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Does anyone know what this is ??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 11:23 pm:

Found this in my dads garage , on a small oak base , looks like a motor with a coil field ? Was wondering if by chance someone knows what it is , thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Milford, Ohio on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 11:38 pm:

Looks like an old motor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Milford, Ohio on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 11:39 pm:

Oops, pressed enter to fast. Meant looks like an old motor for science classes or something similar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 11:39 pm:

I think I saw a small elec. motor like that on a antique dental drill some where

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 05:57 pm:

The original design for the electric palm sander? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Elenbaas - Granger, Washington on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 06:35 pm:

This motor sat on my shelf for a couple years and I didn't know for sure what it was or its value. On day I was looking around on ebay and found one somewhat like it, I was shocked at what it was going for. Later I needed to paint my 14 runabout so I thought a good way to finance it would be to sell the electric motor. I had people interested in it from all over the world but no one bid on it until the last 6 seconds 3 bids topping out at $4850.00. Had money for the paint job and the upholstery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 10:17 pm:

I always seem to have the wrong kind of junk. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 10:26 pm:

What was yours used for ? They are kind of similar .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Max L. Christenson on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 10:57 pm:

From the photos, it appears that the outer unit revolves around the inner coil unit. It looks as if the unit produces an electrical current.

Perhaps, it is part of an older hand-crank telephone device, requiring hand cranking to activate the telephone for a telephone call? As far as I know, most of such units required cranking of an inner armature within an outer series of horseshoe magnet coils. Placing one's fingers on the connecting points of such a device while turning the crank causes an electrical charge to run up one's arm. It is very discomforting, as the charge is quite strong. However, it is still fun to experience. Got to have some fun though, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 11:29 pm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nice-Bipolar-Electric-Motor-Runs-Smooth-/291419631614?pt =LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d9f6affe&nma=true&si=sSFCpYv6wYZ4yE8B%252BvqQRpPn %252Frg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration