Help with 1926 Model T Coupe Info?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Help with 1926 Model T Coupe Info?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Mariano on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 12:48 pm:

Hey everyone, I'm fairly certain this is a good place to post this, but apologies if I'm out of line with this.

My friend's family has asked me to help them sell their 1926 Ford Model T Coupe. 1926 Light Gray Model T Coupe.

My friend's father bought it long ago, but they can't really hold onto it anymore. He restored it, starts with the 6 volt electric starter, original wooden wheels, light grey exterior, gray cloth covered interior, four cylinder engine, manual transmission with the three pedals, clear title, I'm probably boring you by now, but I also don't know exactly what to be specifying. Any general sense of a good asking price with the limited information I'm providing?

You're all experts and enthusiasts, so a critical question to you all is what information should I try to have? When buying, what would YOU want to know? Obviously tons of pictures, but I figure I don't even know which questions to ask in the first place, technical or otherwise, I've been trying to gather information but I defer to you all of course. I know the car has been started up and run very sporadically, but it runs very well, and is otherwise stored safely in an insulated garage and taken care of. Along with any general tips for a guy who doesn't really know much about this car.

What websites should I be posting on to look for selling? I know Craigslist is out there, but a wild card of sorts. Ebay decent for this? Or should I stick to niche sites that revolve more around specific vintage car sales? People have said bringatrailer.com or Hemmings.com .

Any help, insight, suggestions, direction, information...would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for listening, and if you know any other internet forums I should be poking around on, pass them along, anything you think might be helpful! Thank you very much for your time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 12:55 pm:

You have found THE place for T advise. Enjoy. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 01:07 pm:

Do you have documentation for the work done, was the engine rebuilt if so did the re-builder use a stock crank or a scat crank. Was the rear end re-built and is there documentation as to what was done. BTW it is not a manual transmission in the modern sense it is a 2 speed planetary transmission with reverse. does it still have the original coils or has someone changed it a distributor. That should get you started. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 01:09 pm:

Nicholas,

Everything you've said above describing the car is about right. The one huge turnoff to most T guys is a seller that says a bunch of stuff that he obviously dreamed up, in hopes of sounding knowledgeable. The key is to tell exactly what you know and leave out everything else. And please, don't call it a "Doctor's Coupe". Most T guys hate that.

As to where to advertise, this website has a classified section that may help. Advertising in the club magazine, "Vintage Ford", might also be good but the next issue probably won't be out for another couple of months.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Mariano on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 01:18 pm:

Awesome feedback, Ed was definitely right. I appreciate this! I'm fairly certain they have documentation for everything that's been done. I'll ask what's been rebuilt, and how. Is it fairly common for these things to have been rebuilt? Is the stock crank the original, like if the engine hasn't been rebuilt it would have a stock crank? Is scat crank bad? I'll check on coils and distributor.

Thanks for the transmission input, I was only going off of what I saw on ebay listings and the like that said "manual" (since presumably the only other option is automatic?). Great start for sure G.R.

Yeah Jerry, I'm trying to avoid being "that guy", I don't want to create some romanticized listing that sounds all fanciful and pompous. I caught on in a few web page clicks that Doctor's Coupe is NOT the way to ever address this. I'll pop over to this classified section, and inquire about the club magazine. Do those other sites like Hemmings, Bringatrailer, ClassicCars, etc. really generate any interest?

I think they want me to ask around for about $8,000. Obviously the specific information I still have to gather plays a huge part in the pricing, but does that sound reasonable-ish? I know 1926 was a bigger year and it isn't as rare, but I also know this car is at least in good running condition and doesn't have any dings/dents/scratches/cracks/etc.

Thanks again all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 01:32 pm:

Scat crank is not bad, in fact most people would prefer one. :-)
That price should be O.K.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 01:35 pm:

Price of T's varies from state to state. A lot of people do not like Hemming's, because the prices seem inflated by about 25% or more. I personally would buy from The Vintage Ford Magazine or the classifieds on this site before I looked on Craig's List. Plus you may be only dealing with people who are interested in owning it. Rather than flipping it. I would guess that you may get a more bonafide buyer here; rather than a con artist. Be real careful antique buyers from foreign countries. Check them out carefully. Maybe you should buy it and enjoy the great camaraderie in the T world. Hey! Even Jay Leno needed instructions on how to drive his new T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Mariano on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 02:13 pm:

Thanks a bunch G.R.!

And Kevin, is there any way to view localized sales to NY? Or perhaps the Northeast, like is this a decent region for sales? I can't imagine the Metropolitan Area with NYC being right there is a "bad" place to sell, but maybe it is? Not like we can transport the car anyway, but all the same figure I'd ask.

You're certainly right about dealing with more genuine people on boards like this, y'all are here because you love the cars. I don't think we'd deal with anyone from a foreign country aside from Canada maybe.

I wish I could buy it, I'm the fresh college graduate looking to help people out, but I don't think my student loans would appreciate me diving into this car haha! Thanks a lot Kevin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 03:18 pm:

I think you should start at $10,000. It seems to be a very nice car. You can always come down in price. I think an asking price of $8,000 is too low.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Mariano on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 03:29 pm:

Looking around has made me question their low bar for asking price, yeah I figure negotiations could end up there if it came to that, but why not try for some more first?

That is another factor into why I'm asking you all what sites to post on, and Kevin mentioned how prices are inflated on Hemmings, so maybe I'm just seeing a bunch of inflated pricing? I'm not sure where to get a real good gauge on the market, but this car doesn't have any other things that need to be done to it, no "95-99%" restored or anything. Obviously I am going to go and gather some other details that people have been talking about, but for the most part I know it's a good one. I just genuinely don't know where to start and post the "for sale", so many forums but then plenty of them seem like automated site listings that just gather classifieds from sites like this and listings on ebay and maybe craigslist?

I appreciate the encouragement in the car though Ted, I do think they should ask for more than 8K at the outset with what they've got.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 04:43 pm:

New York has 6 chapter listed on the Chapters page. Your next stop should be with one of the local chapters. Have someone go over your description and value, have them make the necessary corrections, then post the add.
This way your not posting incorrect information and get a good local value. Take a look at this thread for some idea of what not to do.

"1910 Ford Model T Model T Mother in law on ebay"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 07:38 pm:

I would heed what Ted and Steve have said. Makes sense to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Mariano on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 08:55 pm:

Sounds really great, thanks all. Curious, I just went over to their house and got the real lowdown. He says he got the car a few years ago, and hasn't really done anything himself to it other than keep it in good condition and run it often enough to keep it healthy. All he got when he purchased it was the car, a toolbox with the old original tools in it, the gas can, and an ad from 1926 showing the car I believe (and the title of course). So there's no real documentation on what has been done or not, but I got pictures of the engine, interior, exterior, etc.

Do you think if I posted some of them here you guys could tell me what it looks like? Insofar as what the condition looks like relative to others you've seen, as well as simply if parts look "new" versus the original? He said the engine hasn't been rebuilt though. Coil box looked newish. Original license plate still on the car, only external thing noticeably "new" was the tail light. If not here, can you think of a good place to post a few pictures where I can get some help? When I go to the local chapter I want to at least be as prepared as I can be. Many thanks all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 09:15 pm:

Here’s two coupes in the Omaha area that have been for sale on craigslist for a long time at $9,500. You should be able to do better on the East coast?

http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/5070552121.html

http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/5068806724.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Mariano on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 09:24 pm:

Thanks Chuck! Now do those seem like "dreamer" posts, sort of like that 1910 Mother in Law's Model T post on eBay, where they might have their head in the clouds a bit regarding what they'll be able to get for it?

I'm a bit wary about listing on Craigslist to start at least, but as far as granting some perspective on the pricing scheme of things, that's certainly good news.

I reached out to John Cunnane of the Long Island Club, I really appreciate the support here everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 10:28 pm:

I think the 26 is on the high side. The 24 is more in line. Both engines are a little rough looking. The condition of your engine and under carriage will make a difference. A week ago I was at a car show and the fellow next to me had a 26 coupe he purchased when he was in high school, he was 68. So he finally restored his coupe to PERFECTION. I am guessing his would be worth $14K, maybe more? All you need is a buyer. Last year a friend of mine paid $10k for a touring worth $7K. If John Cunnane can inspect your car, he should have a good feel of its value and the market there. Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Mariano on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 12:21 pm:

I'll test out one of these photos here, maybe you all can tell me your impressions from how it looks.

Engine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 01:31 pm:

real nice original vaporizer carb original coils and box on the other side of the motor above the water outlet (below coil box) is the engine serial number (helps to date car) If the rest of the car is this nice 8K is a little low start high and be willing to dicker a little, as my dad told me "the definition of a bargain is when both halves think they got the better end of the deal".:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Mariano on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 02:25 pm:

Thanks so much G.R.! Here is the other side, can see it from there, the horn, that good stuff.

Actually, is the 250 KB limit a limit PER picture? I can just upload a few. I'd love similar input.

Alternate View of Engine

toolkit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 02:27 pm:

Yes, 250K per picture, if there is a limit on the number of pictures that can be embedded in a single post, that limit is very high.

Nice pics of a nice car! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Mariano on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 02:54 pm:

Thanks!

Is there anything that jumps out from the pictures as something I should stipulate in an ad? Like note that "part X is actually Y, or looks a bit worn, might need replacing" and so on.

This is a great community, y'all are awesome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Mariano on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 09:23 pm:

One last thing that occurs to me on top of all of this, I mean I know people can tell from the first image, but should I get a photo like the rest specifically of the rooftop and/or undercarriage? It would be kind of difficult for the latter, but I'm sure I could figure out a way with the flash.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Murray - Anacortes, WA on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 01:53 am:

Nicholas, since you have figured out how to put photos on this forum, you can use the "Classifieds" on this MTFCA website to list your car and add all the photos above along with an undercarriage and roof top pics. I think $10k is a good starting point too based on what I see. Restoration history is good to know when an interested party wants more info. Front end rebuilt ? Engine/Trans rebuilt ? Rear end rebuilt ? Front wheel bearings new ? Tires showing age cracks yet ? Radiator new or recored ?? More interior photos would be helpful too.

I bought this 1927 in 2001 for $6k !! It had wire wheels, speedometer, spotlight, 2-speed Ruxtell rear end and bumpers. If you click on my profile name you can see how it looks now.

Hope that helps-

TT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Mariano on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 02:36 am:

Thanks a ton, I didn't want to list it on the Classifieds section until I really got settled with this information. I wanted to post those photos so that maybe more experienced people could tell me if things looked original/rebuilt, things of that nature.

My family friend only received the car and the title, no documentation or knowledge of what was done necessarily beforehand, or what year it would've been done.

Also, that's an awesome looking car, congrats!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration