Spot welding

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Spot welding
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 03:26 pm:

how much, if any, spot welding was done on early "T" fenders?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 04:06 pm:

Was spot welding a 'thing' back then?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 04:12 pm:

No, not until the 30's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 04:27 pm:

Yes spot welds can be found on fenders and the T molding on the rear of tourings. I think I have seen other locations , but don't remember where.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 05:57 pm:

i'm trying to determine whether some fenders are original or repops. i believe that resistance welding was developed in the 1890's but not widely used until sometime later. i've seen fenders with spot welds at the bottom of the fender near the place where the running board attaches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 06:47 pm:

Wasn't the whole rear tub on the 21 and earlier 5 piece touring spot welded together?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 07:30 pm:

Yes. I had to drill them out and reweld in new corners on my 15 touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 07:35 pm:

Low radiator shells during the black era also had the apron spot welded to the shell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 08:04 pm:

Here's a pic of the back of my 15 with the new parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 09:23 pm:

Stuart, on our Canadian sourced cars, the reinforcing pieces, added where the mudguards bolt to the running boards, were spot welded to the ends.
When I replace these, I drill 1/4" holes through the reinforcements, and mig weld them on through the holes.
I am almost certain that spot welds were used on the front guards where the edge piece rolls around the front and is joined to the triangular skirt. The same applies where the rear guard edge piece meets the inner skirt.

Yours may differ.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 09:25 pm:

From "Ford Methods and the Ford Shops", Arnold & Faurote, 1915:

The third workman now takes the fender off the table and trucks it to the fender assembly room. Here two pieces are spot-welded on the surface, one as a reinforcement for the running board, the other to strengthen the metal around the holes cut for the bracket rivets. These two spot welders are mounted on the same bench and are so close together that the work can be passed from one man to another without any stooping or moving from their working position.

Page 161

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 04:14 am:

Mike's observation re the radiator skirts prompted me to recall that the top panel with the Ford logo was also spot welded into the shell, even on the brass shells on the improved cars.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 08:03 am:

thank you all for confirming my suspicions. the welds are exactly in those spots.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration