1909 Wishbone on ebay

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1909 Wishbone on ebay
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 04:08 pm:

Don Lang has a 1909 wishbone listed on ebay. My question is what makes it a 1909? I checked my 1913 parts book for parts for cars under 2500, and there is no mention of the wishbone. The front of the book lists wishbones as being the same from 1909-13. I'm aware that sometime in the late teens or early '20s Ford beefed them up considerably. My '13 runabout has it's original wishbone, and it measures 1.075 at the front, and .835 at the rear. I also have two others from the mid teens that have similar dimensions. The ebay wishbone also has late castle nuts, which are most likely Ford, but not early.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 05:26 pm:

I would find this to be an interesting discussion. However I don't know if I can add anything of value. I believe Ford did not distinguish changes in parts books or numbers as long as the changes did not affect the fit or function significantly. I believe I read that the wishbone among many other parts was beefed up somewhat by the end of 1909. I know that I have seen early wishbones much lighter where the ball is cast in the center. Don Lang I think knows his stuff fairly well. Someone that wants to have a really correct early '09 would care that the wishbone was a real early one or not.
Having put together a couple brass era Ts, I often wonder what year things like the wishbone "really" are. I am not enough of a purist to really care that much. I actually would like to be that much of a purist. I just cannot afford to be one.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 05:29 pm:

I will add. I do applaud anyone that can afford to, taking the effort to make things as right as they can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 09:38 pm:

Larry -- Why not ask that question of Don?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 10:01 pm:

I believe that the "beefing up" that Larry refers to is that Ford increased the thickness of the sheet steel from which the tubing of the wishbone assembly was made, not the outer diameter of any part of the assembly. The heavier sheet steel resulted in a smaller ID only.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 12:08 pm:

Larry-
The ad sez:

"The early 1909 Model T's used this wishbone wish has smaller diameter tubing."

It does not state the size.

If you really want to know, Mike has the right answer...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 12:14 pm:

I sent two emails to Don. Haven't heard a thing! It will be interesting to see what the difference is. It can't be very much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lang on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 05:21 pm:

This wishbone is .840 tubing at both ends (Not tapered) and the tubing is both pinned and brazed at the ball end. The difference is that it is delicate unlike later brass T's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 12:11 am:

Don, it is so kind of you to share that information with us. Had you not have, how would we have ever known? Thanks again, and now we are all a little more informed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 12:40 am:

Even me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 01:15 pm:

It being that delicate, would one use it on a regularly-driven T, or for a museum display only?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 02:22 pm:

Interesting. Now I will have to go dig thru my early wishbones for a look see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 11:41 am:

I've talked to several VERY knowledgeable guys on 1909's and none are straight all the way back, which leads me to believe that possibly that wishbone could possibly be aftermarket?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Burg on Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 09:14 am:

Well I just had to go look at the only early wishbone I have and it is straight all the way and is 1.060. I can't see any markings.

Did they have a part number or logo on wishbones?

Thanks Les......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 09:53 am:

Well Les, that would be a strange looking wishbone indeed. Imagine 1.060 down near the ball?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration