16 runs after 70 years!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 16 runs after 70 years!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 07:22 pm:

I can almost say it started after first pull it ran 2 sec. Than I cranked and cranked one spark plug quit sparking found a different plug heated plugs on stove primed and flooded I think it would fire almost every pull but not keep running . Adjusted carb. Leaner and opened throttle and finally it runs! A cloud of smoke for a few minutes and it runs nice! After a while I tryed mag. And it runs on mag! I never thought that would be possible! After a while I shut down and it started on first pull! It even starts on mag! Not as easy it is not for sure. but so far never more than 2 or 3 pulls on batt! Trans. And break work it is on jack it starts steaming after a while no fan belt yet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 07:32 pm:

the pics. show the freze plug leaking I stuck a twig in it and water tube has a pinhole a piece of tape took care of that for now the radd. looks good eng. is very quite if I had the front tires on I would have went for ride! I want to thank all you guys for the good advice on this forum. I couldint of done this on my own with out the help I got here

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 08:01 pm:

Looks like you're on your way to having a good runner, congratulations! :-)

The vendors sell a replacement lower water pipe, or you can advertise in the classifieds for a good used one.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3944KIT.aspx

Here's a Steve Jelf article on freeze plugs, for your consideration:

http://www.dauntlessgeezer.com/DG87.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, June 15, 2015 - 10:27 pm:

WOW! That is wonderfully neat!
The radiator hose tube can probably be brazed and be good. I have repaired a few of them that way. The plug should of course be replaced. While Buffalo nickels are nice, and the steel soft plugs are correct, I would probably recommend using brass replacements.
Enjoy that incredible car! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 12:22 am:

Where did you ever find a 16 that hasn't run in 70 years? Looks like fun. Enjoy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 03:02 am:

Dave H, It was his dad's car in the 1940s!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 04:20 am:

Freeze plugs are one item where I'd avoid being original. The originals will rust through. Nickels or brass. The nickels are cheaper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 08:36 am:

Quite a pisser of an engine!! LOL...so great to hear of another one brought out of hibernation that's ready to hit the road. Fantastic!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 10:03 am:

Paul, I'm proud of you. I'm sure you put fresh oil in it. Now the real fun begins!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 10:24 am:

If you are using a twig to repair a freeze plug, make sure it is an factory approved ash twig and not oak :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 10:45 am:

It would be a good idea to replace all 3 freeze plugs. They have a tendency to rust out and the other two might be ready to go too.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 10:48 am:

The water tube also looks like it was repaired with tape at some time in the past. Those tend to rust out also. The brass freeze plugs are best and the tube can be purchased from any of the vendors as well as the fan belt. You will need to measure the length of the belt. The catalogs tell you what belt for the various years, but since they were built, many cars have parts from other year models, so measure just to be sure and then order the closest length to your measurement.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 11:09 am:

I just love to hear "resurrection" stories like this. _That's it's actually possible to get an antique engine to shake off a 70-year interregnum and come to glorious, roaring life after just a few hiccups is indicative of how Mr. Ford's simplicity philosophy simply works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 11:50 am:

Ed,

Shouldn't that be a Hickory twig?
:-)
Seriously this is great.
Want some video of some running time and first drive!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 12:18 pm:

One thing I've observed about T's. They don't seem to care how long they sit without running. They always start; 3 days or 3 years!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 05:55 pm:

Fixed!. Update got no spark on one coil switched coils and got it running with no spark to two Cyls! It took some cranking but that's with a cold eng! Played with points got coils working but one is not grounding thru timer it sparks grounding top terminal with screwdriver I got a real surprise when it started! I can't believe how easy a t starts with a crank who needs elec. starter?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 05:59 pm:

the pic. is the fixed freeze plug! just kidding! its only temp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 06:06 pm:

Interesting logo on the spark plugs, what brand are they?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 07:27 pm:

Update it's running great again! The wire on no. 3 to timer must have a break somewhere temp. Fix but starts on batt. first or second pull. on mag. maybe 4 or 5 sometimes first! Pull! I used a gallon of gas already! Mark the plugs are all diff. The champ. X is not sparking I had to change it it maybe original to car. And the timer is alum. But it sure works good!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 08:12 pm:

Thanks, glad you got it sorted out! I was looking at the #3 plug with the green coat of arms looking logo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 09:16 pm:

Mark the plugs are 1 champion x with brass band. 2 liberty 3 gold crest. 4 sterling. The gold crest I borrowed from and old hit or miss eng. The others were all in there. I guess people didn't change plugs by the set back then!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 08:03 am:

Thanks for the info and pics! :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration