1926 Model T Era Coins

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1926 Model T Era Coins
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 01:22 pm:

A few weeks back I had some questions regarding a safe way of cleaning coins, as I was putting together a set of 1926 coins like the ones that would have been in the pocket of the original driver of my 1926 Model T Coupe. Turns out I didn't have to clean them as I decided to buy uncirculated coins, one at a time and mount them in this display holder. Granted, the coins in the pocket of my driver would have been circulated and therefore, more substantially worn than these uncirculated samples, but I wanted to illustrate the type of coins that were in circulation back then and the beautiful detail cannot be appreciated on well-worn, circulated coins.

All the coins in this set are 1926, except for the Walking Liberty half dollar, of which there were none minted in 1926, so I had to settle on a 1929, but it is the style that was in circulation throughout the teen and '20's, so it served my purpose.

The coins are, from left to right: 1926 Peace Silver Dollar, 1926 Standing Liberty Quarter, 1926 Mercury Dime, 1926 Buffulo Nickel, 1926 Lincoln Cent and 1929 Walking Liberty Half Dollar. To me, the Standing Liberty Quarter is one of the most beautiful coins ever minted. Unfortunately, it's was so finely detailed and its' design was so close to the surface that, once in circulation, the high points wore down flat, unusually fast, so that the detail of any quarter other than uncirculated has lost much of the fine detail that made it so exquisite. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 01:25 pm:

They look great, neat idea! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 02:36 pm:

Do you realize that much money would probably pay for a pretty good breakfast at a roadside cafe in 1926??

Try it nowadays.....you'd get coffee. Maybe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 02:55 pm:

That is a beautiful set of coins! Be careful how you display those with the car.
Drive carefully, and do enjoy! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Floyd Voie - Chehalis, Washington on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 03:04 pm:

George, The melt value of the silver coins is about $22.00. Which should get you a pretty good breakfast! ....I know you were talking face value.
Didn't check on collector value ......
Nice display Jim!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 03:11 pm:

Oops. Three pictures of the obverse and no pictures of the reverse. Here is the reverse. I wish I was a better photographer, without so much buck fever, LOL.

They need to make a camera that can be held like an M-14. I didn't get buck fever in the Marines on the rifle range. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 05:11 pm:

Jim

Will you mount them on the car? If so, where?

Where did you find the display holder ... very nice!

I have been thinking about doing the same thing for my 15 touring. If I could find the proper holder, there is a small flat area below the windshield that might work for me. I have the 100 year plaque mounted there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 07:04 pm:

Bud, I'm not sure how I will display it. I suppose I would need to find a way to secure it to the car with some sort of a nice, brass link chain by taking out one of the corner screws in the display holder and crimping one end of the chain through the hole and the other end to something in or on the car. At least that way somebody couldn't easily snatch and grab it. Right now, I'm enjoying just looking at it and admiring the beauty of the coins. I keep it on the counter in the kitchen and each time I walk by, I have to pick it up to look at it.

Most coin display holders are 5 coin holders, with no place for the silver dollar, but I found this 6 coin holder on ebay from a seller with the user named of "Jakesinc". His business is called "Jakes Marketplace" and his e-mail is Jakesinc@Jakesmp.com. These come in red, black and white and are also sold by others on ebay if Jake is out of them. I liked the look of the red one. He also has coins and numismatic supplies.

I found all my coins on ebay. If I saw a Choice Brilliant Uncirculated coin I really liked, I went to www.coinstudy.com and got a current market value on the coin so I would be able to know whether or not the coin was overpriced. Then I would go to the buyer and, if he had a "Make an offer" option, I would offer him less than what coinstudy said the coin was worth and we would negotiate up to the appropriate value. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 07:51 am:

Thanks for the help Jim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 10:07 am:

One more thing Bob. You may only need a 5 coin holder, which is much more common, for a 1915 mint coin set since silver dollars ceased being minted in 1904, and began being minted again in 1921. Jim Patrick

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration