Question About Stock Crank Pulley on a '24

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Question About Stock Crank Pulley on a '24
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 01:36 pm:

My 1924 cut-off touring currently has one of the aftermarket aluminum crank pulleys on it. I bought a really nice stock steel pulley on T-bay a while back to add to the pile of stock parts that I plan to install back on the engine some day when the engine has to come out for work.

Looking at the stock pulley, I see that there are two holes on the inside and two on the outside. One of the outside holes is smaller than the other three holes. The crank pin fits through the three larger holes, and then is retained inside the pulley by a cotter pin. The smaller outer hole is too small for the pin to fit through.

A question drifted into my head, what is the smaller, outer hole for? Is it just an artifact of the machining process?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 01:47 pm:

I use it to push the crank pin out with a drift.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 02:29 pm:

Thanks Kenny, I should have looked at the service manual first. It shows a picture of a drift being used exactly in the manner you described. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration