Paint code needed for correct blue for 1913

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Paint code needed for correct blue for 1913
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 03:46 pm:

Hi Guys, I need your help. I'm going to repaint my '13 town car and want to go with the correct dark blue color used in 1913. I have not been able to find the paint code, or I just don't know where to look.

Does anyone have this code, preferably in PPG. I can mix Deltron and Concept.

Thanks very much for your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 03:52 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/P-R.htm#paint1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 04:21 pm:

Les

Here is an earlier post about dark blue paint codes, seems a Mercedes blue is what is used.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/178544.html?1293410137

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 10:32 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 11:10 pm:

Thanks much. This will help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 01:07 am:

Les-
I do NOT recommend the Dupont color 81501A that is in the encyclopedia.

It is too light. It is on this fender. The hood section on the left is the color I painted my 1911:

I painted the body and REpainted the fenders with Diamont Uno color 4635-A. It is a single stage paint. As Dan points out, it was a dark dark blue that was used on Mercedes Benz from about 1963-1967. The Mercedes color code is DB-332 (dunkelblau). It is truly a deep, deep blue that looks black until you get the light on it.

I am happy with it. Your mileage may vary.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 01:51 am:

When I had my 13 touring, I looked at many colors at the auto paint store. The deepest I found, and had planned to use before selling the car before I finished it, was a dark blue used on Kenworth trucks in the 1979's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 01:52 am:

Correction: 1970's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 09:05 am:

Hello Les:
Obviously many dark Blues to pick from, any one of which can be considered correct IMO(I have used Saab 1989 Code 189G). I agree with Keith's assessment that the Dupont color referenced in Bruce's Black Book looks light. Not sure how Bruce reached this conclusion, but all will agree, he likely had some credible point of reference. More important to us Town Car afflicted, how is the color to be applied...for example, will the car be primarily Black with Blue paneling, or will Blue be used for the entire painted car? Are you doing the wheels in Blue as well, and will the car be pinstriped? Many thanks if you could post a photo of current.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 09:46 am:

Well I don't know what was used on my '13 by some guy who restored it in MN years before I bought it last January, but from my perspective it's pretty dang close to the "real deal". Other opinions may (and probably will) vary. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 09:52 am:

The dark blues they used back in the '60s and '70s were indeed far to light. They are beautiful though for a Cadillac! My May '13 runabout still has the original paint on the under side of the hood, and I've rubbed it out, and there is no question it is black! Of course after 100 years perhaps that old varnish changes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 01:51 pm:

The color chip I have for DuPont 81501 is near black. The only way to see blue is in sunlight. Another in the same dark blue/black is DuPont 5093. I could scan the chips but they would just show up as black on the screen.

If you had a problem with those color numbers being to "light", they were mixed incorrectly or you didn't shoot for coverage. Both have excellent color holdout (coverage).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Byrne - Racine, MN on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 02:42 pm:

Good answers above and there are several old threads dealing with this subject . . here are a couple.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/277414.html?1332517099

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/332225.html?1357355430

You will see there are several options to give you a good "Midnight Blue" for your car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 06:26 pm:

Scott,

My car has an April 13 engine cast date and serial number. I plan on painting the car entirely blue, including fenders and wheels, rather than having black fenders. (If this is entirely wrong for an April 13 car, please let me know). Looking in the book, it appears there were evidence of blue fenders in the earlier part of '13. I plan on the frame being black. I'll be using french gray for the pin striping and by looking at the photos being put on this thread, I find these a great help, as I see NO evidence of pinstriping on the fenders, they're either straight blue or black. Regarding the wheels, they need to be rebuilt and I plan on calling Stuzman's soon as I have a friend driving to Hershey this fall and hopefully, he'll drop them off for me.

As this progresses along, I'll post some photos. Currently, the car is an older restoration that looks okay, but it's painted a light "grabber" blue, which is wayyyyyy too light.

Again, many thanks for all the help on this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 08:08 pm:

Hello Les:
The "right" color is what pleases you...Blue all over sounds way cool to me. I've not seen an original 13 Town Car, or a color photo of an original...only seen Jim Finney's original 14's which were both original Black all over. Fender and chassis pinstripes were gone before 1913...original or not, I think a quality stripe job looks sharp on just about any car. Factory replacement parts lists for 1913 show both Blue and Black wheel replacements, so take your pick. Was yours a car that you purchased recently, and if so, can you identify the previous owner here...not trying to pry, just curious whether yours is a known Town Car. Every once in a great while, a new one pops up, where this is a major event for the T/C faithful.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 08:13 pm:

Attached is a photo of the original paint under the hood of my 1913 Touring. This is a Late-June car, with the engine cast on June 19. The hood appears to be black until you place it in the sun. Then there is the slightest "hue" of dark blue.

Most of this car was repainted in the 70's so it's impossible to determine if it was all the same color, or blue/black two tone. In any event, it sure had a pretty shade of blue-black at one time!hood

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration