Choke rod not clearing fuel tank

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Choke rod not clearing fuel tank
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 09:22 pm:

Hello guys,
I would like to thank you for all your help on getting the hand brake adjusted.
Now my issue is the choke rod. It seems that the fuel tank will not sit high enough up in the dash.
I have noticed from other Tís that there should be about ľ inch or so clearance between the rod and the tank. How can I get the tank to sit up higher? I have attached pictures of the fire wall, filler gas cap and under the dash. I have the straps loose thinking I needed to rotate it a little. Currently the tank is empty. So I can wiggle it around. Still no luck. Any Ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 01:14 am:

Maybe a previous owner has put some thicker than standard insulation material up on top of the tank?
You can take it down to investigate. Lang's sells the various materials needed for padding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 10:14 am:

Clearly, you have the wrong year of car. Lose that wannabe Model A and
get a real gas-tank-under-the-seat Model T !!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 10:58 am:

Burger must like driving in revers up hills! :-)

The two straps which hold up the tank are threaded on the front end. If the tank is loose enough to move around when it is empty, those straps need to be tightened. If tightening doesn't fix the problem, the tank can be removed and check the webbing at the top of the cowl. It should be about the thickness of a tie down strap you use on a trailer, less than 1/4 inch thick.

From the second picture which shows the outlet from the tank, it looks low on that side.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 11:57 am:

Steve, Burger still thinks that a 52 DeSoto is a real car. They went broke cause they could not sell poor products. Ford sold a lot of Improved cars. Maybe more that DeSoto.
Do you have a Coupe or Tudor? Enjoy the ride, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 12:12 pm:

Really enjoyed our 26 model A roadster wannabe :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 01:00 pm:

Scott, It is a touring. It just seems that I take one step forward and two backwards. I will pull the tank out soon and try to rehang it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 02:17 pm:

Steve

Seems you have the tank about right according to the fuel sediment bulb location,

But the cowl opening shows your tank a bit down, tank should be a bit of angle, note the tank overfull tray should be higher toward the cowl.

That will pull the tank up and toward the cowl and you will have room for the choke rod. On yours, the strap clamps seem to have thick felt anti-squeak, have always used thin rubber strips that were original design.

Be sure too, your metal straps are bent to contour to fit tight to the tank.

Note, this '27 used the cardboard insulation for the cowl, but has webbing straps on the upper underside of the cowl to protect the top side of the gas tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 02:23 pm:

Dan,
Thank you for the pictures.
Pictures are worth a 1K words then some.
Looks like I will order a cardboard insulator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 02:31 pm:

Steve

Check your body first, the cardboard is for the '27 year, if your cowl has 4 rivet holes spaced around, these are for two strips of fabric that insulate the backside of the gas tank.

'26 style, riveted strips to the inside of the cowl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 10:50 pm:

I had the same issue with my '27. I found that the new insulation pad was cut a little too large and wouldn't "roll over" to fit the firewall contour. A little trimming and some carefully thought out profanity solved the problem. I would love to see a film of the workers installing the "improved car" gas tanks at the factory!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 07:57 pm:

Here is a picture of my firewall.
By the description, I would guess that I don't need the cardboard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 09:18 pm:

Steve

Those holes in your cowl aren't factory locations for the rivets that fasten the two fabric strips for the gas tank insulation. Don't know what those are there for. So your body is likely the '27 that uses the cardboard insulation.

Here is pic of the rivets, the heads are nickel plated so you can see the 4, two on each side to hold the vertical fabric strips inside the cowl.

And your steering column is missing the cowl mount plate on the cowl to bolt to the lower square flange on the steering column.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration