A 48 Tooth Ring Gear

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: A 48 Tooth Ring Gear
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 12:55 pm:

Does anyone know what a 48 Tooth Ring Gear would be used to do?

This is a New Old Stock Ford part and Ford is stamped in the white area just below the wire tag tie.

There is no Pinion Gear available and how many teeth that might have is not known either.

Ring Gear

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 01:28 pm:

Hmm, a friend of mine purchased a NOS Ford pinion gear last week, and then found out it doesn't mate properly with his ring gear, maybe it's for this gear?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 02:56 pm:

This was used as an option in mountainous regions for heavy closed cars together with a 12 tooth pinion for a 4:1 ratio.
They were only used for a limited time c:a 1920 until Ford developed the novel design for the 10 tooth pinion that can be used with the standard 40 tooth ring gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 03:04 pm:

As Roger says 12 to 48 for heavy cars. Pinion shown on the left wired to the 48 ring. Loose 12 tooth fits 40 tooth ring.

a

aa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 03:09 pm:

Just looked at the encyclopedia. The 12/48 gears were introduced in july 1919. The ten tooth pinion came in January 1920, = the end of the 12/48 option.

Maybe this NOS gear is one of the remains from Ford's policy to avoid loans (when he needed money for buying Ford stocks) by forcing dealers to buy parts they never asked for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 04:06 pm:

Now somebody with an orphan 12 tooth pinion needs to speak up so that the two gears can be assembled into a usable set. :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 04:34 pm:

Calling David Dewey! David Dewey calling! You may have become a matchmaker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 07:18 pm:

Wayne, I'll talk to Lloyd, he's the one who has it (and is disgusted that it doesn't work!)That picture looks like it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 07:30 pm:

I talked to Lloyd, he says his gear is marked "3.75" but it doesn't mate to the ring gear, it's too shallow, so I think it's it, I'm PMing James with his contact info (Lloyd's offline, computer problems)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 08:53 pm:

It seems there is no end to the gear combinations. The pinion gear on the left with the pointed teeth was made for the 48 tooth ring gear. It also fits a 44 tooth ring gear of which I have two NOS. I also have the 12 tooth pinion but do not have the 48 tooth ring gear. The other 12 tooth on the right fits the Ruckstell 39 and 40 tooth ring gears. It is just like the ones we make. I also have a 12 tooth pinion which is marked 12/43 but I do not have the ring gear. Anyone with a good 43 or 48 tooth ring gear they want to sell, please contact me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 11:22 am:

No 48 or 43 tooth ring gears?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration