HELP with SHIPPING

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: HELP with SHIPPING
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathon Boyer on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 03:25 pm:

Hello All,

I'm a new Model T collector. Just purchased a 1918 Touring and I need to have it shipped from Portland, OR to Novi, MI. I've been having a very hard time finding a reliable company to ship my car so I was hoping maybe some of you T collectors would know of a company who can ship my car for less than or at $1,600.00.

Car MUST be shipped in a closed trailer.

I'm hoping to get the car shipped ASAP so if anyone knows of anyone, please pass it along.

Thanks,

~ Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 03:28 pm:

Jon;

Contact Freighter Jim here on the forum, sometimes on classifieds. Some of his posts contain his cell number.

I don't know Jim, but I've seen good posts about his service, and nothing negative.

Bill Everett

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathon Boyer on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 03:31 pm:

Thank you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 04:12 pm:

Jonathon,

I received your PM ....

I am on the road traveling in Nevada to California,
then up to Seattle, WA ....

I just dropped off this 1923 Model T in Salt Lake City, UT yesterday ...

Pardon my directness:

That trip @ http://mapq.st/1Gg945E looks to be around 2400 miles ...

Doing the math - your budget for enclosed transport works out to be 66 cents a mile or less ...

That does not include the unloaded miles required to drive to your pick up location from the nearest drop off point - or to drive to the next pick up location from your drop off point ....

What " I've been having a very hard time finding a reliable company to ship my car " means to me is ....

No one will haul for what you are willing to pay because it is below cost ...

No one I know will actually transport a vehicle for that price ...

As was pointed out above - you are welcome to call me - but at your price point there is nothing I can do for you ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Redelman, Kouts, IN on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 10:09 pm:

Hi Jon, I live in Indiana and Jim has hauled cars from CA on two occasions for me. I can't say enough good things about him, he has gone over and above what anyone else would have done in the hauling business to help me out. He is the best and treats your car as if it was his own! He just needs to be more careful when working on his own truck, Glad your on the mend Jim. Remember you get what you pay for Jon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 10:54 pm:

Steve,

Now ain't that the truth about being careful when working on my own truck .... :-)

Thanks for the kind words !

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 12:06 am:

I have to second what Steve said. Jim picked up a car from me to deliver to its new owner and although it was just an unrestored shell he treated it as is was a documented show car while loading it and tying it down.
I think he has now learned not to use his leg as a wheel chock :-)

By the way, Jim is very good about keeping you informed about where he (and your car) is at all times.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 01:24 am:

Is the Amtrack Auto Train a possibility for you? I think they are pretty reasonable and can ship it by train, the majority of the distance. Even if they don't have a depot in the origin city (Portland, OR), you can go online and check and have it shipped from the closest city in Oregon, where there is an Auto Train Depot and to the nearest location to you, where there is a depot. Then you can drive to the depot, where it was shipped, rent a trailer from U-Haul, pick it up and drive it home. A few hundred miles is better than a few thousand. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 01:52 am:

Jim, putting myself in your under truck situation, it scares the crap out of me. Glad you are doing well. (How's that for hi-jacking a thread.)

Jon... Fly out and drive it back???? Highway 2 almost all the way. Cheers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 07:04 am:

Jim -- thank you for all your support to our hobby and I pray you have a speedy recovery.

Jon -- From your profile it looks like this is your first forum thread. Welcome to the forum and to Model Ts.

Also from your profile it looks like you are associated with a nice restoration shop. That should be a great help for any maintenance your car may need. It may also help you decide what is the best course for dealing with the car. If you are planning to turn the car for a profit, then keeping all the cost within budget and turning the vehicle quickly is all part of doing business. And I think there is an excellent chance you may have underestimated the cost of shipping the T from Oregon to Michigan. So from a business standpoint – check your options and if you need to – adjust how you will move it. Or it may turn out you would be ahead to sell it for a lot less in or near Oregon than shipping it to Michigan.

But if it is going to be your T and you are going to be enjoying it for a while then you probably have a little more flexibility in when, how, etc. you get it across the nation. "IF" the T is already in great shape -- then driving it as a Father-Son or Grandfather - Grandson could be a real adventure. But most cars need some sorting out before they are ready for that long of a trip. And while they can be sorted out during the trip it is usually less stressful if it is done before the trip starts. Also while it is easy to drive and work on a Model T – it is usually wiser to have some experience in driving and maintaining the T before you set out on such a trip.

Note even to rent the small 10 foot U-haul truck and the auto transport open trailer is $1,345 from Portland to Novi MI ref: http://www.uhaul.com/ . (Note they have Model Ts listed for use on the trailer. Caution U-Haul also has their tow dolly listed for use with a Model T – not a good idea.) And that doesn’t include any gas or hotel bill etc. They estimate 12 mile per gallon (without a trailer – but loaded). So that is 200 gallons of gas for the roughly 2400 mile trip. Even at $2 gallon that would be $400. So you are already over your target budget of $1600. And you have to get to Portland to drive the rig back.

I’m sure you can find a way that will work best for you. You may want to discuss the situation with the seller and come up with a “win-win” for both of you. You pay him some straight cash for his time etc. and he releases you from the purchase. With the shipping cost you save you may be able to purchase a similar car much closer to you. Or you work out a reasonable storage option with the previous owner until you will be in the Portland area with your own tow vehicle. Or pay the reasonable fees for someone like Jim to take care of it for you professionally. And you might find someone with an empty trailer headed from Portland to Michigan who could help you out – but that is a long shot and has its own pro’s and con’s.

No matter which course you choose, please don’t let this experience stop you from getting into the hobby. It is a lot of fun and you will meet a lot of great people. And I would encourage you to check out the local Model T club nearest to you. Please see: http://www.mtfca.com/clubpages/chapters.htm and http://www.modelt.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=15

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 09:36 am:

Jon, I'll have to agree with the majority. You're going to have to have incredible luck or come up with more transport money. I have had a vehicle shipped from Reno, NV to Katy, TX (30 mi. west of Houston), a distance of 1960 miles which cost me more than your budget. I had another vehicle shipped from Waycross, GA to Katy, a distance of 962 miles, and it cost me about what you want to spend. Both moves were made at least five, maybe ten years ago, so I'm sure shipping costs have gone up since then.

I have two suggestions for you:

1. Plan a trip to Portland and if you don't have a trailer, rent or borrow one. If you have to rent, local rates where you rent and return to the same location are always cheaper than one way rents.

2. Get quotes with every possible shipper. I have found a sizable difference between carriers, enough to make my decision easy on who to hire. Some say you get what you pay for. Often that is true, but if you can find a shipper going nearly your exact same route with other loads, quite often they'll give you a price break. Check with shippers who have the right equipment, but don't have the big names and advertising. All my business has been with shippers that I never had heard of until I started checking, and I haven't had anything scratched; only 100% satisfaction.

Remember, most, if not all shippers working for a company (not themselves) have to pay the company, their fuel, all other trip expenses, insurance, other expenses associated with vehicle wear and depreciation, and still have to make enough to bring home living expenses for their wife and kids. Put yourself in a transporter's place and as Jim said, 'do the math'. Honestly estimate, as closely as possible, the mileage, all trip expenses, including the cost of fuel, meals, accommodations. and your time (as if you were doing it for someone else). Even without making a profit as someone else would, you'll probably see that it will take more than your budgeted amount.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 11:56 am:

Three years ago I rented this trailer in Phoenix and dropped it off in Ponca City, OK. I guesstimate that at about a thousand miles. Trailer rental came to $333.76. Fuel for the gas hog Suburban came to about $385. Your distance is more than twice that, so I agree that $1600 for hired transport is extremely unlikely. If you already have a suitable tow vehicle you can drive to Portland, and rent a suitable trailer, you might get by for a couple of grand. I expect it will be more than that, and if you're paying somebody else's costs for labor, insurance, fuel, etc., it won't be cheap for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 02:03 pm:

1800 is about what enclosed transport will cost.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 04:43 pm:

2400 loaded miles of transport for $1800.00
works out to be 75 cents a mile ...

No one one I know will haul a vehicle on an open or enclosed trailer for 75 cents a mile ...

What determines auto transport cost:

Pick up zip code
Drop off zip code

The Pacific Northwest is one of the toughest markets to get actual vehicle transport out of ...

Local economic conditions make for attractive car buys to folks living thousands of miles away ...

The same folks that can't afford to buy the vehicle you found so affordable in their own backyard - are generally not hauling vehicles in because they are just not buying ...

To pick up a vehicle - you first have to drop off a vehicle relatively close by ...

Vehicle
Condition (running or rolling)
Additional height above 72 inches
Additional length beyond 15 feet
Additional weight above 4000 pounds
Outside tire width exceeding 80 inches
Outside body width exceeding 80 inches
Additional parts shipped with vehicle

A Model T touring car with the top up will cost more to ship because it is a taller vehicle

Generally any Model T (running or not) will cost more to ship because a hauler wants to drive your vehicle on & off a trailer .... quickly

Time frame (how long you are willing to wait)

Everyone wants their vehicle yesterday ....

Open or enclosed transport - direct or indirect

The most expensive auto transport is direct enclosed from pick up to drop off on the same trailer with no transfer - no driving your vehicle

The cheapest auto transport is open multi-car indirect involving multiple transfers - driving your vehicle on & off a trailer - storing your vehicle outside in a yard

The most expensive auto transport is direct enclosed from pick up to drop off on the same trailer with no transfer - no driving your vehicle

The cheapest auto transport is open multi-car indirect involving multiple transfers - driving your vehicle on & off a trailer - storing your vehicle outside in a yard

Expecting the two to be the same cost per mile is just plain nuts ..... :-)

Most folks DO NOT actually talk to someone who operates the equipment & drives the truck that pulls the trailer BEFORE they purchase a vehicle

Most folks talk to an auto transport broker

There are thousands of auto transport brokers

I have never met one yet that told the truth

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 07:45 am:

Jim, just out of curiosity - what would you charge for the original poster's request? How much would make it worth doing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 08:40 am:

Seth

Think Jim pretty much covered it, to make an estimate needs customer input. Where and when to pickup, and where and when to deliver. Lots of info needed for this.

Used a FL based national car/collector car hauler once for a T from S. Cal. to N. FL. Cost was around 2K which I thought was great. And delivery was 'estimated' at best. The driver kept in touch with me, but he had other cars on the hauler and the other pickup sites got delayed by un-organized customers who didn't have their cars ready to haul.

So got delayed by a least a week. That left me in a lurch, as I had to go out of town during the actual delivery time. But lucky had a buddy who met the hauler south of my home, and collected it, trailered it to his home, and I got it later. So all worked out, but you never know.

Anyway. Here is a good website of a hauler that explains general costs per mile for hauling automobiles.

http://www.discountautotransport.com/car-shipping-rates.php

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 08:58 am:

Jonathon

Just looked at you new profile as joining the site, and see you are webmaster for an automobile restoration company.

Would seem that company has large experience with car haulers, gathering and delivering customer's restored vehicles. Maybe they can help you?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration