OT - What's a Good Source for a Floor Jack?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - What's a Good Source for a Floor Jack?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 03:39 pm:

My 18 year old grandson is starting a project and will need a floor jack. What's a good source (somewhere I can just go get it) for a reasonable quality floor jack that won't cost a fortune?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 03:48 pm:

If there are farm and estate auctions around Modesto, those are an excellent source of good tools on the cheap.

(Message edited by steve_jelf_parkerfield_ks on June 17, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 03:48 pm:

Harbour Freight Tools. Reasonably priced and good quality. You can find a location on their website.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Solak on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 04:04 pm:

And buy him some jack stands and tell him to always use them if he's getting under the vehicle, no matter how expensive or how cheap the jack is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 04:10 pm:

Thanks Bob. I have good jack stands. I already told him if I see him put a finger under the car while it's on the Jack without the jack stands in place and all secure that would mark the end of the project!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Conte on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 04:15 pm:

I've had a Sears 2 ton floor jack for 20 plus years and never had trouble with it.

There are some things from Harbour Freight I would not buy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 04:27 pm:

AC Hydraulics, Milwaukee, or Norco. They are pricey, but they are US made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 04:58 pm:

I have a 6year old sears 2 ton floor jack that works when it wants to, not when I do. I have a floor jack that I bought cheap at Big wheel in Mn, in the 70's, and still my go to jack!

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 05:07 pm:

Costco sells a very good one. I don't recall the price but it is reasonable. I bought it last year after my Harbor Freight one died.... No regrets. A much better, faster and lighter jack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Redelman, Kouts, IN on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 06:40 pm:

I have an all aluminum floor jack I bought from harbor freight which has two pistons so one stroke moves the jack up quick with less effort. The quality is excellent and this is coming from an old tool and die guy. My last jack was a Snap On Tools jack which only lasted 35years but it weighed a ton I have a great appreciation for an all aluminum jack and the price was very reasonable. And always use jack stands!!!!! as I lost a good friend 47 years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 06:56 pm:

I have a floor jack that I got from Harbor Freight. One thing I don't like (besides the fact that it is an import) is the handle being spring loaded up. I can store my old Craftsman floor jack under the center line of a Model T and don't have to worry about backing out of the garage without looking under the car first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 06:58 pm:

Put a price on the health and safty of your grandson then get the best instead of the cheapest!!!!!!!!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 08:21 pm:

I opted for the Harbor Freight 4 ton Steel Heavy Duty Floor Jack with Rapid Pump®. It has the capacity to lift up my 3500 Dodge Diesel 4X4 with a little reserve. I've had it for about 4 months now and I'm very satisfied. You have a HF store right in your town to boot!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 08:37 pm:

I bought one on amazon, it's an OTC aluminum jack. 2 ton, real light and easy to use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 08:44 pm:

Harbor Freight aluminum floor jacks
I carry (2) 3000 pound models
Floor jacks a must
Block wheels a must
Never work alone a must

Do not grow up to be me .... :-(

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 09:57 pm:

Damn, Jim. I hate it when that happens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 11:51 pm:

Lost a young classmate of my youngest son a few years ago. He was tuning up the dragster and got in a hurry and crawled underneath with no jack stands. His father found him several hours later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 12:52 am:

Many, MANY, decades ago, when I was about 21, I was working under my everyday driver (a 1939 Ch##$T town sedan)on the rear axle. I forget just what I was doing, but I remember having many problems with the rear end, later found out the Driver's side axle was the wrong year, and about 3/4" too long. Anyway, it was up on a jack (not a floor jack) and nothing else--but I did leave the wheel on--or I wouldn't be here to tell the story--anyway, I was tugging on a bolt or something and the jack tipped as the car moved! (yes, I had blocked the wheels). Irritated, I crawled out from under to straighten things out--and then it hit me what had just ALMOST happened. I sat there for quite a while counting my blessings!
SO BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 02:01 am:

The Costco one is a 2.5 ton Arcan one that is aluminum and steel. Price is $99. Sometimes they have them in the store (that's how I got mine) otherwise shipping is about $9. excellent for the money!!!!

http://www.costco.com/Arcan-2.5-Ton-Hybrid-SteelAluminum-Service-Jack.product.10 0213455.html?catalogId=10701&keyword=floor+jack&langId=-1&storeId=10301&refine=

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 08:48 am:

In addition to the jack stands I use these too:-)
http://www.harborfreight.com/solid-rubber-wheel-chock-96479.html
But I'm probably over-cautious due to my background as a Safety Petty Officer and BTW please take off any rings while working around things they can catch on,(fender edges fan blades etc) those are some of the nastiest injuries I have ever seen!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 09:50 am:

Yes on the rings,take them off while working.My dad was wearing his wedding band and it shorted over the battery of a D7 caterpillar.The ring melted off his finger and burned his finger to the bone.That was 1965,and he still has a scar on his finger from it.But just yesterday I saw the latest "fad" in wedding bands.Silicon rubber!
My dads buddy that he used to hang around with in his teen years had a 40 ford coupe hanging from a tree putting a rear axle under it.Tree limb broke and the mans legs were crushed. He had 2 artificial legs from the knees down after that.But he still was able to work a good job and had a good life.

Most all jacks are made overseas. Just pick your favorite color.
Steve's advice is good. Find a good 1 at a auction. Most US 1's could be rebuilt with a seal kit and some time. 1 of mine is from harbor freight and the other is from Advance auto. Made the same,just 1 is red and 1 is orange.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 10:01 am:

One important item most people are over looking is the a jack is only as safe as the surface it is placed on! If you put it on blacktop be sure to place a piece of plywood or steel under the jack to keep it from sinking. This also applies to jack stands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 10:17 am:

I got a good one,reasonably priced, a few years ago from Sam's Club.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 11:57 am:

Speaking of rings, my cousin was working at the top of a flag pole and the ladder fell. He slid down the pole, but his ring caught on the thing you hook the rope to and pulled his finger out clean. Now he has a three fingered hand. It's not to noticeable, but errie to think about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 07:42 pm:

I got mine from Harbor Freight. I like it. Be sure and buy the insurance any time you buy something above $100.00.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 08:51 pm:

I saw a heavy one with a wide stance at a tractor show flea mkt today at 125.00 Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 01:25 am:

Dad liked using Walker jacks. I do not know if they are still being made? They held up very well.
Now, I have 2 steel floor jacks from Costco and carry an Aluminum floor jack in my enclosed car trailer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 09:06 am:

I'll join in with using jackstands. I was an automotive shop instructor in a vocational high school for years; our standing policy was that if we found a student under a car without support stands, it was an automatic detention. There have been two deaths in our area due to jacks collapsing within the last 10 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Skille on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 11:54 am:

In 1960 I bought a used, it was one year old Hein Werner O'boy model OS 2500 lb. capacity flour jack that was made in Waukesha Wisconsin. Three years ago it Quit working so I bought a kit and repaired it. I am still using it and I am sure it will last the rest of my time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 12:24 pm:

I wasn't going to post this 'cause it's no help at all for Henry but Les mentioned Walker. I got this jack from a friend who worked at a Staten Island dealership that was closing. No charge. Found a re-build kit and did it up. I've had it 30+ years easy. It's only 4" high at the business end and has about a 16" lift. 2 position handle. Cast iron & steel. It's a great jack. They'll bury me with it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration