Cranked up my 1927 for the first time this year

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Cranked up my 1927 for the first time this year
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 10:43 pm:

I cranked up the T today after replacing the gas tank and some other work. I have a weird issue - it runs well, but only with the mixture control turned in as far as it will go. Opening it at all makes the engine stumble. It ran last year at an average of 1 1/2 turns out. I'm guessing a stuck float. Has anyone else had this issue?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 11:28 pm:

I've had it where I THINK I am at the bottom and I'm really at the right point because of wear on the adjusting screw, etc. A stuck float can usually be shaken loose with a slight tap from the wooden handle of a hammer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 07:45 am:

Screw the needle completely out and check it. They get damaged very easily by turning them in too hard all the way. See Steve's video on how to reshape them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTiStUTU9IE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 07:50 am:

It does sound like symptoms of a stuck float. Try tapping on the side of the carburetor with a large plastic or wooden screwdriver handle while the car is running. You should be able to kill the engine by closing the mixture screw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 08:11 am:

Trash in the needle seat preventing the needle from completely seating?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Mahaffey on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 08:26 am:

What type carburetor are you using on you 27? Is the choke butterfly opening all the way in run condition?

If the needle valve is indeed closed all the way, then an alternative source of gasoline is hanging open somewhere. That diagnosis would be easier to pursue if your 1927 car has a Holley(Ford) or Kingston vaporizer installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 08:31 am:

Thanks for the information, guys!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 09:04 am:

On my '27 with vaporizer carburetor the needle valve makes no difference at all. The car runs fine but the mixture cannot be adjusted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 01:39 pm:

I've also found the "U" joint on the fuel air mixture will kink or get jam when turning it causing you to think you have bottomed out.

Never really have liked that design or at least the performance of the "U" joint on the 2 I own.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration